Hot water only with heating on. On gravity fed system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I can currently only get hot water with the CH on.

I have a Potterton Kingfisher on gravity fed hot water system so no motorised valves. When i put the programmer on HW only, the light on the programmer comes on but the boiler does not fire up. Everything is ok when the CH and HW is on. I dont have a tank stat either i dont think. I have searched for answers on the forum but mostly they point to the valves or the tank stat.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like your system is working as it should.

To have more control you could upgrade your system to fully pumped

On your system there would be a valve that you manually close to shut off the heating in the summer and in the winter you would open it to give you hot water and heating. They would both come on at the same time.

Your cylinder wouldn't have a stat

thanks Terrydoh i should have noted though that it has only just stopped working after a year and a half of being at this property. So it is not working as it has.
I know what you mean I had my last gravity fed system converted to fully pumped.

You wouldn't really require a two channel clock with your system and when they have got one they are put on to a gravity setting witch means that when you select hot water, heating would come on with it.

I don't see what you have as an issue.

I would just close the valve and set the times in the clock for when I wanted hot water in the summer.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like your system is working as it should.

To have more control you could upgrade your system to fully pumped

On your system there would be a valve that you manually close to shut off the heating in the summer and in the winter you would open it to give you hot water and heating. They would both come on at the same time.

Your cylinder wouldn't have a stat

Why ? the OP has jsut said he has a gravity HW pumped CH system, Have I missed something ?

think you are thinking of a flow share valve Terry where you manually switch between CH and HW as I read it op has gravity HW and pumped CH so when HW only is selected only the boiler fires ant the HW circulates by gravity and when CH is connected then both Boiler and pump have power, might be reading this wrong sorry if I am

No worries mate you posted with the best of intentions, OP I think you have a fault with your timeclock/programmer, think you are only getting a live feed to your boiler when CH+HW is selected when you have HW only selected the boiler should have power but the pump shouldnt ,easy test for a competent DIYr or electrician or god forbid a heating engineer

Do you mean the programmer?

A loose connection within the boiler?

thanks for the help

unlikely to be a faulty connection if has always worked more likely to be the relay in the programmer has given up but as Terry says not too expensive and easy to replace

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back