How do I find the 'last' radiator in central heating system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking of fitting the Magnabooster2 filter.

It is supposed to work best between the last radiator and the boiler?

I was thinking of fitting it between my pump and the 3 port valve split to water and heating, as ease of access is ideal at this point.

I assume fitting it anywhere in the central heating loop is going to filter rubbish out of the radiators and pipes, albeit that you need 22mm pipework?

Would this also mean (and this is a guess!?) I could fit a reducer to the 22mm fittings of the Magnabooster body to take them down to 15mm and fit in my radiator loop somewhere? - then I'd be spoilt for choice of convenient location!

Would that work?

Or does there have to be the full 22mm pipe diameter flow of water through the filter to work properly?

Any advice appreciated, thanks - Anthony.

Sponsored Links
The best place is somewhere on the return pipe to the boiler - that's the cooler one at the boiler. You can fit it right next to the boiler or anywhere on the return between boiler and the first tee junction (rad or HW cylinder - if you have one.)

It's just a case of following the pipework. ;)

You can put them anywhere on the flow/return pipes, although adey say they work best on the return before the boiler. Look at the return pipe at boiler, probably be 22mm and will be the second one to get hot when u turn heating on. Follow the pipe from there until you find a space suitable. There are other manufacturers too which make smaller units eg spirotech if there isn't enough room for magnaclean. If doing yourself, remember inhibitor if draining system.

...for advice on the return pipe location.

Pipework too short above my boiler for the 22mm fit.

The Magnabooster2 is quite short from what I can see, but may have to go after the pump.

Did either of you have any opinion or advice on using a reducer to fit it to the 15mm radiator pipework, or is that me being silly!?

Thanks - Anthony.

Sponsored Links
That's you being silly. If you can't fit it on the return near the boiler, then fit it after the pump and before any zone valves.

You just say that you are thinking of fitting a magnabooster 2, you don't say why, obviously you have been suckered in by the sales gimmicks and marketing people, there is never a reason to fit one of these, they are just a nice gimmick to make money, if you have magnetite in your system this is caused by corrosion, address the issue of the corrosion don't just mask it, it is like having skin cancer and just picking off the cancerous skin, but not dealing with the cancer

That is what is wrong with the UK market, the sales people just spew nonsense and sell gimmicks to cover up the problem, the problem needs to be dealt with, stop the corrosion = no magnetite, no need for magnetic filters, think of it logically, the chemical companies sell the powerflush machines and the chemicals to go with it, then they sell the inhibitors, well if these products done what they claim to do, why would you need the magnetic filters, I have started adopting methods from Germany

It's the Spirotech one I'm planning on fitting, as it's a little smaller than most it seems.

Yes, the system does have corrosion, but I thought after draining and re-filling with inhibitor, then the filter would help in the long term too, the system is about 113 years old now and from my point of view I don't think the original inhibitor as ever been drained and replaced - hence a recent failing of the 3 port valve due to accumulation of crap basically it seems.

Yep, think with filter it's going to be going between the pump and 3 port valve.

Useful info all round from everyone, thanks for taking the time to offer your help and advice, appreciated.

Inhibitor definately...just reading on here about drianing the system down, because I want to do it all at the same time - makes sense, as you all say.

Thanks guys - Anthony.

If your system is old and that badly sludged you need a powerflush not a magnabooster... also the smaller size of the magnabooster may work against you as it'll fill up much quicket

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back