DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

How do I take this tap apart to replace the washer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
briony10

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote

Hi,

My upstairs bathroom tap was dripping and stupidly I put off the job as a plumber is coming next week to do a big job on the house so I didn't want to call him out separately.

Now the tap is running constantly and won't turn off. There are two shut-off valves: one 'in-line' one under the basin and a tap downstairs which turns off the water to the upstairs. I have a downstairs bathroom as well so I thought I could get by until the plumber comes.

Well it is typical that neither of those shut-off valves is working! icon_rolleyes.gif

I have changed the inside of a tap before by unscrewing the cover which said 'hot' and just undoing a screw. Unfortunately I cannot see how to undo this tap, the ceramic thing on the top does not seem to lever or screw off. Please can anyone help? I do realise it would be better to call a plumber but I would like to try myself if possible.

Thanks for any advice.

[/url]
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
45yearsagasman

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote

Turn off the water supply to the tap.
Use a spanner on the hex part of the main body, and while holding the spout firmly, undo the main body anti clockwise and remove the tap innards.
There is no need to remove the tap handle.
 Alert Moderators
briony10

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote

Thanks, I will give it a shot but it is a pity it is not as simple as the tap I did before. Everything seems to be seized up, so I might not be strong enough.

For a constantly running tap is it usually the washer or the unit inside the tap that needs replacing?
 Alert Moderators
45yearsagasman

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote

Normally a damaged washer, or if you are really unlucky the valve seating may be pitted. In that case the tap would require reseating. A plumber would fix that in 10 mins, so that may be your best bet.
 Alert Moderators
briony10

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote

Thanks, I had to find my adjustable spanner thing and got it undone. I replaced the washer and it stopped the continuous running. I will get the plumber to re-do it properly when he is here next week, though. I feel like I might have missed something important.

Thanks ever so much for the help. I wouldn't have known how to undo the tap. icon_biggrin.gif
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: