How to change this taps washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have spent a few hours researching (looking at) these taps but am clueless on how to take apart to change the washer - any insight welcome.

Thanks

I am not new here - just got a new username as been away for a while :)

Sponsored Links
That doesn't sound easier or cheaper - any specific reason you recommend that?

I had the same issue with a kitchen mixer, and ended up replacing the whole thing.

I swear to this day that there was no way to remove the cartridges.

Sponsored Links
They look like quarter turn taps, so they won't have washers, but two ceramic disc cartridges. If you do manage to take then apart, you'll need to find a plumbers merchant with the patience to match the cartridges to their stock. Take the old cartridges and the handles with you. You will be lucky to find someone prepared to do this. If you know the make and model then its much easier, unless they are a "shed" special, in which case your chances of getting spares are almost nil.

Hard to tell from the photos, but it look as if there is a very shallow cap right at the top of the spindle, above the handle. If so it might unscrew or pop out with the use of a sharp edge. If not, then its possible the handle itself unscrews.

Reckon they are cheap taps, had similar ceramic carts in the kitchen. But some effort to work out how to remove may save a few pennies as the basin has smaller versions which one is now leaking a little too.

Do the wide cylinders just beneath the handles unscrew? It may expose the cartridge....?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back