How to put a mixer shower above my bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I hope I am posting in the right place, couldn't see anything more relevant than this category.

I have an enamel bath with a mixer tap at one end. I want a shower but the end of the bath that the taps on is an open end (the toilet is next to it) and the end of the bath opposite the taps is against a wall, which would be the ideal place to have a shower. I want a mixer shower not a power shower, the water pressure is pretty good.

I am not sure what is best to do. Should I turn the whole bath around? I like having the taps where they are so when lying in the bath you look out of the window. Is it possible to have a pipe fed underneath the bath and to come out at the other end and up the wall with a shower on? I guess a hole would have to be made in the bath to enable this, is that possible?

Any ideas welcome
Many thanks
Heather

Sponsored Links
Fit a thermostatic bath/shower mixer and a shower curtain on an L shaped rail.

Edit:
The mixer should be an easy fit as you will have good access via the panel by the toilet. No pipework involved, just swapping taps for mixer. Fit the riser rail to the side wall.

Sponsored Links
Fit a thermostatic bath/shower mixer and a shower curtain on an L shaped rail.

Thanks - but where would the shower head be fixed to the wall? maybe I didn't explain it clearly but the taps are at the open end of the bath, not against a wall.

See my edit above. Sorry, I was editing as you were posting. :oops:

Thanks

What I am trying to find out if it is possible is to have the shower on the back wall opposite the taps, then I can have a glass shower screen. I think if the shower was mounted on the side wall adjacent to where the taps are it would make a lot of mess with the water when showering. I am wondering if the taps can stay where they are and I can still have a shower on the wall opposite the taps.

Thanks again

Are you saying the bath sticks out into the middle of the room and the toilet as well?

If the bath has an end and side panel, the tap supply pipes could be T junctioned to give an alternative supply to a mixer shower unit fitted into the wall at the end opposite the existing taps. What is the wall made from? If a stud wall, could be relatively easy.
You would need suitably tanked and tiled walls.
Then a screen or curtain could be added.
(Might get the odd shower drip whilst lazing and peering out of window :) )

HI
I have tried to upload a diagram but not sure if it has worked or how you get to it!

Thanks Tony, it is an internal wall, and is currently tiled (don't really want to remove the tiles, but I guess might be necessary?) That was really what I was wondering if an alternative supply could be run under the bath to the other end and then up. The bath goes right to the wall so I guess the problem is if the enamel bath could be drilled so the pipes came up or if they would be sunk into the wall. My budget is quite small!

Many thanks

Drilling a cast bath will not be successful and will leak round the pipes.
If it is an internal stud wall running pipes within it should be easy and may not disturb tiles. (depends on any noggins between uprights) Could access be obtained from the room on the other side of the wall?
If a solid wall, chasing out would be messy and inevitably damage tiles.
But showers and untanked tiled walls can lead to water penetration into the plaster.

Thanks, it is a solid wall. I am not sure what the best solution is in that case! I currently have a mixer tap and shower that sits on top and I just sit and use it in the bath, which is ok but not ideal, especially when guests use it and flood the bathroom (I am quite careful!). would be nice to have a shower to stand under, but as you say it can be a problem with water penetration into the plaster, I hadn't thought of that......

I think if the shower was mounted on the side wall adjacent to where the taps are it would make a lot of mess with the water when showering.
That's why I suggested a curtain on an L shaped rail. When having a bath it can be pulled out of the way so as to not obstruct the view.

Could the bath be moved away from the wall enough to fit a false panel to cover the shower pipes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back