How to unblock a 1200 Stelrad Elite Double Panel Rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Using a IR thermostat I noticed a couple of my radiators were reading around 50C at the top and only 40C in the middle/bottom. I have 10mm microbore downstairs so I decided to give the system a clean as I assumed the delta between top/bottom was due to magnetite.

After emptying the system (Open Vent) I added 1lt of Sentinel X800 and re-filled. I turned up the pump to max, closed all TRVs then turned one on at a time, banging the radiators with a rubber mallet, then left the X800 in system for 5-6 days.

My 1200x600 double panel Stelrad elite radiator still has a 10C delta between top/bottom so I've emptied and re-filled the system, then removed this radiator connected a garden hose and tried banging, standing it up every which way and the water runs clear.

Can anyone recommend anything else I can try to clear the magnetite from this rad? Are there any tricks to force the water through one panel only? Any chemicals I could add to just this one rad?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's blocked and not simply a balancing issue. You seem to have done all that can be done to clean it out.

Are you sure it's blocked and not simply a balancing issue. You seem to have done all that can be done to clean it out.

Turning all other radiators off, I still get the same issue. Running the IR over the rad I can see big differences between the verticals starting about a 1/3rd of the way across, if the water temp is increased to 60, there is a bigger delta of 20+C :(

SWMBO keeps complaining about this room so I'm wondering if I replaced this Stelrad P+ (rated at 1616 Watts ) with a K2 which is 2134 watts, would SWMBO notice a big difference? (or even with a 700mm version @ 2413 Watts)

Sponsored Links
Do you have valves at each end of the rad?

With double rads many blockages on one side only can be virtually impossible to shift as you have no rodding entry.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back