Ideal E type boiler connections and pumping over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating system (30 years old) is powered by an Ideal RS E type 80. During its lifetime, the system has been cleansed and flushed (Fernox F3) and the boiler descaled (Fernox DS40) on two occasions, and has always been inhibited with Fernox MB1. I recently noticed that the water in the F/E tank was a rusty colour, suggesting oxygenation of the primary circuit water, so I cleansed and flushed the system and descaled the boiler. The system is working fine (as it always has done) but a careful check on the overflow does show that occasional pumping over is occurring.
The system is a fully pumped S plan , the flow branching immediately after the upper left boiler tapping with Danfoss valves 30cms downstream. In the return, the pump is within the boiler casing, feeding into the boiler distributor tube.

I know the usual practice is for feed and expansion to be on the suction side, but when I originally installed the system I'm sure I was advised that I could use the spare boiler tappings, which I did, the 15mm feed to the lower right tapping, the 22mm expansion (with safety valve) to the upper right. Was that a big mistake all those years ago or is there another likely cause of the pumping over.

Sponsored Links
try turning the pump speed down a notch! that may stop the system pumping over without compromising the circulation of heat around the system ;)

Thanks for the advice Boilerman2. I'll give it a try. As far as I can tell Pumping over is only occurring for a few seconds at system startup.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back