Ideal Isar HE24 always heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I appreciate that I have been saddled with a notoriously failure ridden boiler.
I replaced the overheated and bent PCB a while ago when the boiler went dead.

For a while, the boiler behaved.

Now though, the only way to stop the boiler is to switch it off altogether!

As it runs on the timer, it constantly heats the house, even when it is programmed not to!

Trust me, it is not miss-programmed. I've checked, my wife has checked and our 14 year old has made sure we aren't senile!

I understand it will fire up a t code, which warms the exchanger plate (fine so far). But in the middle of the night, the radiators get red hot, despite the programmer not being active.

I've fitted a new room stat and rolled it to zero. Still the house roasts and the bills rise!!!

The programmer is a Plumb Center basic jobby (less to go wrong) and I am tempted to swap if for a Drayton lifestyle LP711 electronic timeswitch.

However, could the problem be an internal valve sticking open? Or something else?

Please help.

Ta.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it could be a faulty diverter and preheat passing to rads? Turn boiler off for a while to cool, then put on and feel the left most pipe under boiler, does it get warm?

Diverter valve then. There are a couple of different ones depending on how old/new your boiler is which are not interchangeable.

Sponsored Links
Thank you both for your time/ opinions.

Serial number:

Is it a difficult job to replace one? I've rebuilt engines and diesel injection pumps, but central heating is new to me.

Try £50 plus just for cartridge and hope heads not faulty aswell! Check this link out has all variants of diverter valve

Right then,
I have a grey head actuator and I have removed it from the neck that holds the valve.

The Actuator pin on the valve is really stiff. I presume I need a new cartridge valve.

How do I test the motorised head?

Shall I fire up the heating, switch between DHW and heating to see if the cam turns?

If spindle is stiff then it'll need changing. Honeywell one, very easy to change. The tool to remove it comes with the kit. Head is very rarely faulty unless it's got wet.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back