ideal Isar HE30 Boiler Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Happy New Year!!! - Hope your all ok.

Our boiler decided to pack up yesterday, it was making a very strange rumbling noise from the top of the boiler and had F L on the status screen and then it switches off until you hold down the reset button.

I've been reading about the boilers and from peoples comments they seem like a very temperamental.

I've tried a few suggestions on here like cleaning the condensation pipe but it still isn't working.

I can hear a strange noise coming from the boiler when it's trying to light, it sounds like water is boiling, i know thats what they do (haha) but i've never heard this before it's like its low on water...

I've checked the water pressure and at the moment it's around 1.5.

Can anyone shed any light on this? We have spoken to the landlord and the earliest time a plumber can get here is on Friday but it's freezing at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

Scott

Sponsored Links
Happy new year to you too

All boilers need regular service as detailed in the boiler manual. Condensing boilers need more car and attention. It is my experience that boilers eventually 'start complaing' when vital service and checks are not carried out

What is cleaning the condensate pipe going to do? Has the combution been checked with analysed? What about the syphon- how clean is it. Then comes th heat exchanger, ignition components, gas pressure to name a few.

IMHO there is no good or bad boiler. Every boiler has weaknesses. What kills boilers is oversight and care and attention

Happy new year to you too

All boilers need regular service as detailed in the boiler manual. Condensing boilers need more car and attention. It is my experience that boilers eventually 'start complaing' when vital service and checks are not carried out

What is cleaning the condensate pipe going to do? Has the combution been checked with analysed? What about the syphon- how clean is it. Then comes th heat exchanger, ignition components, gas pressure to name a few.

IMHO there is no good or bad boiler. Every boiler has weaknesses. What kills boilers is oversight and care and attention

There speaks an Isar virgin ...

Hi raden. Regularly work on this type of boiler unless the PCBs are cuffed (presently studying the PCB layout and things that fail to see what can be done to effect repair to used such card to aid boiler faulting).

A fortnight ago replaced the seals on water section and heat exchanger on two Isars, a month before repaired explosive ignition.

Have repaired leak from the connection between HE and exhaust section
Often replace the AAV tucked in the corner
Replaced the O ring on the main HE where the return pipe fits
Have replaced HW thermistor ( only saying that for bullet point as it would not merit a mention)
Regularly drop the syphon to clear it
Regularly replaced the 'coat hangers' which are stock item like other regularly needed spares for single visit fix

Above is what I remember so hardly a virgin. Just because everyone and his dog slates this boiler does not mean it does not have it's good points like the hydraulic section removal in one piece. I cannot thing of one boiler that does not have a weakness. Add the ingredient 'poor workmanship' and 'cutting corners', now you have a situation where the best boiler will not be able to cope ;)

Sponsored Links
The isar is a pile of crap
To be fair they are usually fit for free from a scheme so they are thrown on the wall not flushed well and not set up correctly 99% of the time!
And to DPs credit if they were serviced properly and sumps cleaned you wouldnt get many fl faults!
I bloody hate the isars!

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Hi raden. Regularly work on this type of boiler unless the PCBs are cuffed (presently studying the PCB layout and things that fail to see what can be done to effect repair to used such card to aid boiler faulting).

This is the only pcb we have ever sent out 100+ at a time to keep our customers' stocks up. I buy ICOS mains transformers 1000 at a time. (Whatever fault there is with the boiler or fan takes the transformer out)
This is a pcb that is to the suprima what the suprima was to other pcbs IYSWIM - a disaster.

We have recently been in talks with BG with respect to reconditioning their pcbs - we are talking of 10's of thousands per year in ICOS pcbs alone

The isar is a pile of crap
To be fair they are usually fit for free from a scheme so they are thrown on the wall not flushed well and not set up correctly 99% of the time!
And to DPs credit if they were serviced properly and sumps cleaned you wouldnt get many fl faults!
I bloody hate the isars!

such a pile of {whatever}
While what you say may be true (I'm not a fitter), the pcbs are and out and out disaster ... not complaining

1 word blocked condensate. End of.
ISAR HE30, third control PCB in under 1 year. Took insurance on this boiler a few years ago after reading online, but guess what engineer has just put another PCB in today, all have failed because of corrosion on connectors. I wonder if the very obvious leak that always seems to almost fully dry out before the engineer comes around has anything to do with it :LOL:
Fluid drips down from heat exchange and follows the path of least resistance to the perfect resting place of the PCB - bang!
Any ideas as to what the fluid is: water with inhibitor, condensate waste or both?
Why do I get the feeling they don't want to replace the obvious problem...

You need a new heat engine, insurers i work for get ideal to do it (cheaper for them). Total waste of time fitting new pcb/display units as the drip will eventually kill them.

I've had an ISAR HE30 for 9 years without problems and it's still in good condition. The ignition electrodes need to be adjusted occasionally to close the gap as they burn away.
Had a few problems at the start due to bad installation, not flushing the existing pipework.

Rob

Have you located the source of the leak?
Is it from higher than the heat exchanger, possibly from the flue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back