Ideal Mexico RS55 Boiler not fully igniting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Stelrad Group Ideal Mexico Slimline RS55 boiler and just recently it has stopped firing properly. When the hot water or central heating is turned on, the flame in the boiler only stays in the area around the pilot light and the gas further away from the pilot light does not seem to be able to catch alight. The strange thing (to me anyway) is that if I press the ignition button the flame spreads to the whole area but stays small and weak. As I press the button again and again the flames grow stronger until they get to full strength. I was just wondering if anyone had any idea what the problem could be?

For a bit of background, the boiler was fine before I was away for about 4 weeks over the summer, during which time I turned off the central heating/hot water control panel but left the pilot light on. Not sure if this will affect anything but the problem seemed to appear after that.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the guidance, I got a guy out to service it and he has said that the gas valve has gone so it needs replacing. He tapped the valve with some pliers and it fired up properly so that is how he knew.

Does anyone know what kind of cost I should expect for the part and fitting?

Thanks

Why didn't you ask him? He's the one going to change it isn't he?

Sponsored Links
I did ask him, he wasn't sure how much the valve would cost for this boiler. Was just hoping someone would be able to give a ballpark figure so I know what to expect when he calls

If its the v4600 series then about £70+ plus an hours labour to fit and test boiler. Allow another 30 mins for a full service..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back