Ideal mini 24 losing pressure fast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have an ideal mini 24 boiler that loses pressure almost instantly once filled. All our pipes are above the floor and i can detect no leaks, all valves are tight and no aparent leaks. When i bled the radiators upstairs they were quite low and the water seemed fizzy. The ones downstairs didnt take much bleeding and the water flowed as normal. I pressed the shrader valve on the expasion vessel and only air came out, quite high pressure. I placed a sandwich bag over the outlet pipe that comes outside, i left it over night and no water was in it.
Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be or any other checks i can make?
Thanks in advance.
Mike

Sponsored Links
its got to be going somewhere,
could be a leaking heat exchanger, the water will drain through the condensate pipe. with the boiler off disconnect this below the boiler, pressurise and then see if any water starts coming out. when you say instantly can you see the gauge dropping?

Thanks for the reply. The pressure gauge goes down straight away, you can see it reducing. All the rads upstairs make a gurgling noise about 10 mins after putting heating on. It sounds like all the water is draining downstairs? Where would the water go if the exchange was faulty, is it down the waste pipe?

Sponsored Links
is it a mini ? or a mini HE ? they are two different animals

do you know if it has a white condensate pipe coming out of it either going to a drain or a soakaway ?

There's a white pipe that comes out of the left hand side into the water drain. Dunno if that helps? Thanks.

OK sounds like you have an HE, if you have carried out all the other checks PRV expansion vessel and you are losing water that fast it sounds like the recuperator has split, the white pipe going into the drain, if you can break a joint on that then do that and try and pressurise the boiler, if the water that you add comes out of that pipe then it is indeed the recuperator, if no joint to split try feeling the pipe if it loses the pressure that fast, one last thing to check is the actual drain down point of your system try and locate that and see if it is coming out there

Brilliant. Thanks for your help, I'll do the checks tomorrow when kids at school. Really appreciate your help mate. I'll update the results...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back