Ikea sink drains slowly when washing machine connected

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

My Ikea sink drains really slowly when the washing machine waste hose is connected. The waste is connected to one of the two outlet pipe connectors on the Ikea Faktum unit.

View media item 67575 View media item 67576
When connected, water from the sink goes down really, really slowly... but as soon as I take it off, water goes down much faster again.

This didn't happen with my old washing machine - only with the new one I got last week, but I'm not aware of there being any extra bits attached to the old hose which might have caused it to drain quicker.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It might be worth getting the bottle trap back to vertical - it looks to be off at an angle in your photos

Seems it wants air flow into it.

Difficult to guess exactly why from those photos.

Tony

Sponsored Links
With properly laid pipework there should be no problem but without seeing the whole installation I cannot guess.

Fitting an air admittance valve would overcome the problem but not correct the existing fault.

Tony

The overflow pipe has probably filled with water and causing the trap to air lock, try putting the trap upright as already said and the overflow so it rises without a dip in it and your sink should drain properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back