Ikon23t combi misfiring, lukewarm water - mystery problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 15 year old Ikon23t combi boiler. I believe this is a gloworm boiler, possibly sold through Travis Perkins.

There is an intermittent problem I'd describe as "mis-firing", i.e the boiler fires up but then a few seconds later it cuts out, then immediately fires up again, cuts out and so on. The effect of this is that the water comes out lukewarm unless you keep the flow down to a trickle - not too nice for showers! The heating still works, as although it's misfiring there still seems to be enough heat getting round the radiators, perhaps more slowly than usual but it's hard to know for sure.

When the boiler feels like working (now about 1 day in 4) we still get nice hot showers and tap water, so the boiler is actually fully functioning, there just seems to be some issue with when it decides to turn the flame on and off. There *might* be a link to whether the boiler has been on recently and how hot it is, as sometimes if we keep the heating off in the morning we get hot water for showers, although I'm not convinced about this.

Heatcall are refusing to look at it as they say it is obsolete and you can't get the parts. Three local heating engineers (Cambridge area) haven't managed to solve the problem.

Any ideas? I'd rather not replace the boiler if it can be repaired, as we won't be in our house in a few months time.

Sponsored Links
It is a very cheap to buy boiler but nevertheless quite simple and often quite reliable.

I would expect that it is quite repairable and that most spares will be available to an independent engineer.

The problem is finding one with good diagnostic skills in your area.

If you put your postcode its possible someone on here will agree to come to you. You are a little far for me for a routine repair.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back