immersion heater termostat cut out problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an immersion heater with an 18in thermostat with an adjustable temp cutout and reset button.

The problem I have is that although the reset button 'pops' out when the water reaches the temerature set (65 deg) the water continues to heat up - basically the reset bit is not cutting the power when it 'pops'. I pressume this means the thermostat is faulty but before I buy another could there be any other issue causing this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

Hopefully that worked! If not check in my albums.

Live (brown) on right is between the element connection and the thermostat, live (brown) on left between electricity supply and thermostat.
Neutral (blue) dirct from mains to element post.
Earth on earth post.

Any ideas or just a faulty cut out?

Yea looks like a faulty stat although its unusual for them to fail with closed contacts.

Sponsored Links
Yea looks like a faulty stat although its unusual for them to fail with closed contacts.

Sorry I disagree, they normally fail with closed contacts.

OP, your thermostat & high temp cut-out are both faulty if your water boils.
Since there introduction, the manufacturers have had problems calibrating cut-outs, sorry as I know this is of little help to you when you've to fork out for replacements.

Sorry I disagree, they normally fail with closed contacts.

The faulty ones I have seen the reset button wont hold, I havent seen one yet (with an overheat button) with welded contacts but might be different up north. ;)

My reset button holds, pops at whatever temp I set it at but continues heating. I'll get a new one then disassemble the old one and post a pic if there's anything to see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back