Inspection hatch for flue in void - building warranty issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

As I understand it, there's a new law where any flues that are covered internally in the building needs inspection hatches so that Gas Safety Inspectors can inspect the entire length of the flue.

We bought our property which is a flat just under 2 years ago. The builder's warranty is due to expire in 1 months time and it also has NHBC warranty.

My question is, are we liable for the installation of these hatches or is it a issue I should take up with the builders/NHBC?

Thanks in advance!!

Chu

Sponsored Links
If still under builders warranty the flat is likely to be less than 2 years old.

No. It must conform to the reg's. If you can't see the flue along it's entirety then inspection hatches must be installed. If the builder sold it to you without conforming to the reg's it's their responsibility for it to meet regulations

Sponsored Links
If still under builders warranty the flat is likely to be less than 2 years old.

No. It must conform to the reg's. If you can't see the flue along it's entirety then inspection hatches must be installed. If the builder sold it to you without conforming to the reg's it's their responsibility for it to meet regulations

we bought the flat probably 6 months after it was built. so, although we've owned the property less than two years the building itself is over 2 years old.

so, am i right in thinking because at the time they sold the property to us it wasn't conforming to the regulations they should rectify it (regardless of how old the building is)?

Correct.
It's their problem.
The property should meet regulations.

Regulation state the flue should be able to be inspected along it's entirety to conform condition of joints/flue and supports.

That's great. I've emailed the builders and hopefully they'll sort it out.

I was confused because we were sent a letter by the management agency about this saying because the building is over 2 years old it is our responsibility.

Also, are they required to fit carbon monoxide alarms or is that my responsibility?

Not sure of the exact dates but I seem to remember flues in voids should be visually accessible is older than 2 years. And your property is still covered under the builders warranty

I am not in the building trade, but it seems un-logical that the builders warranty is reponsible for things that were acceptable when the building was made, but have changed since, such as the flue in the void.

If you can get the builder to do it, Then great. I just dont think you will.

Not sure of the exact dates but I seem to remember flues in voids should be visually accessible is older than 2 years. And your property is still covered under the builders warranty

It came into practice on 1st of January this year.

just heard back from the builders and they say that because the legislation wasn't in place when they built it its our responsibility.

was the legisilation in place when I bought the property (we completed on 16/04/2010)?

its more than likely classed as At Risk, so I would suggest to the builders that a gas engineer has been around, issued an At Risk warning notice and also completed a RIDDOR report. The last bit may make them move their ar$e ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back