Installing 1930s toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Managed to pull this bowl out of our outside loo in one piece and am wondering about the feasibility of re-installation elsewhere?

//www.diynot.com/network/seanpk/albums/20413

I have 3 immediate queries:
Is it possible to remove the rust stains? If so, how?
This bowl used a high level cistern (which is shot) - will it only work with that arrangement or can you use a low level cistern?
Will I be able to find fittings to couple to the obsolete outlet?

Cheers, Sean

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to remove the rust stains? If so, how?

Bleach, Ever Shower and elbow grease. Might be difficult to clean up perfect.

This bowl used a high level cistern (which is shot) - will it only work with that arrangement or can you use a low level cistern?

Can't see why it can't flush with low level cistern, I've fitted many to old bog with no problem. Use standard syphon unit.

Will I be able to find fittings to couple to the obsolete outlet?

Can use any pan connector for outlet and use external cone for inlet, need to remove cut flush pipe, denso tape and clean up.

Other thing, why not buy new bog?

Daniel.

I have clean a worse one which was in-situ, I just poured 'spirit of salts' into the bowl and left it for 24hrs.

Bleach and elbow grease the rest.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Andy, Daniel - did the Spirit of Salts (Hydrochloric acid) or Ever Shower get rust stains out or just remove the limescale?

" Other thing, why not buy new bog? - Daniel. "

Probably the same reason I didn't buy a new build,

Sean

Spirit of salts get me out most of he time. Most rust will come off. Haven't come across a bog that cannot be cleaned yet :D

Andy will know. ;)

Daniel.

As long as the glaze isn't damaged, the rust should come off with acid. It's like glass, so shouldn't permanently stain. As said, spirit of salts or brick acid will do it. Some more ideas on here -

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/remove-rust-inside-toilet-tank-29805.html

You have done well to get that pan out in one piece, but will need to be patient and gentle when removing the remains of the flush pipe. Could be lead sealed so avoiding damage to the surrounding porcelain stub is important.

Definitely worth saving, as it's a quality made British bog, with pleasing deco lines. With a suitable cistern and nice chrome or brass flush pipe, should look impressive in a period property. You may be able to get a cistern from a reclaimation yard or new.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back