Insulate heating pipes or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to fit a new hard wood floor in my hall in which the heating pipes run under the floor boards. Is it worth insulating these before I put the new floor down? It seems really quite expensive to do it and will I benefit that much from it? I need 30m in total... Where is the best and cheapest place to get it? The house is just over 100 years old so under the floor is not massively well insulated. The pipes are the plastic type not copper. What are your thoughts? Thanks

Sponsored Links
yes you should. From your description they are going in the void under the ground floor which is unheated space. You will be wasting heat with your 30m long very narrow radiator, they are also more likely to freeze.

You should use the BS grade which is as thick as your arm. Foamed grey stiff polythene is the stuff, Climaflex or own-brand in the sheds or builders merchant which looks just as good. Wrap and tape joints well.

Pipes and tanks in lofts or garages are also in unheated space so also leed to be BS lagged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back