Insulate your condensing pipes!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recommend to all DIY'ers insulate your condensing pipes on your boiler. If you don't, don't moan when I take your hard-earned money for fixing it!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The condensing pipe is the plastic pipe outside going to a drain pipe or drain. Please dont ask whats a drain pipe?! :confused:

The condensing pipe is the plastic pipe outside going to a drain pipe or drain. Please dont ask whats a drain pipe?! :confused:

I'm pretty sure I know what it is. ( I am American and just had out boiler and pipes done after a theft )

Under the boiler which is hanging in a cupboard in my bedroom, there is a plastic pipe which hangs out the wall from the bottom right hand side....

I think however, mine just pours out the side of the wall versus into a drain. (hmmmm) :confused:

( I am American and just had out boiler and pipes done after a theft )

Welcome to Merseyside! ;)

If you have a white plastic condensate pipe, it should preferably drain into a waste pipe inside building. This will prevent freezing.

If it runs outside, it should terminate into a foul water drain, not just run onto ground. It should also be well insulated, to minimise freezing.

Short story, before we bought the house, it was robbed of all the pipes and an attempt at getting the boiler as well... so when they ripped out the boiler they left gaping holes from the flue and the plastic pipe... the plumber fixed it on the inside, but said he couldnt get to it on the outside....said something about needing a builder to finish the holes on the outside...

guess i better get on it, thank god were having a mild winter so far!

Those scallys! No pipe should just be left out of the wall, it needs to run to a drain or pipe. Doubt you have a cert. for the fitting of this boiler....

A certificate from a gas safe engineer! Not just one written on the back of a cigarette packet! U might want to get a professional round ASAP!

No no... he was certified...Long story really! The previous owner paid for the piping and the new boiler...part of our agreement considering we got a steal of a deal on the house. It wasn't some random on the corner! I promise!

If he was certified and he knew what he was doing why is the condensing pipe just discharged through the wall. And do you have a certificate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back