Intergas boiler and compatible radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have searched but not found the answer to this problem - apologies if it's already been discussed.

I am waiting to get an intergas boiler fitted but my plumber cannot fit me in for about three weeks. In the meantime, as my builders need the radiators fitted before that time - can i install any radiators to work with an Intergas boiler - or are there any considerations and normal radiators are not compatible and there would be complications.

Many thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
Normal radiators will be fine, just make sure they're correctly sized for the room with a design temperature differential of 20C, preferably with a 70C flow temp

I don't want to contradict muggles, but if your having a brand new installation, you could size the radiators to run at 60c, allowing your new boiler to stay in condensing mode longer making it more economical.
Good luck with your build.

Sponsored Links
Your boiler installer is the heating expert!

Your builder is NOT !

Builders will fit the smallest rads they think they can get away with. A good heating engineer will discuss the rad sizes and outline to you the advantages of fitting them sized to operate at a lower flow temperature thus increasing the efficiency of the boiler.

The extra cost is probably about 10% of the cost bearing in mind that there is a supply and a labour charge and the labour is the same regardless of the size of rad.

In any case, rads are not chosen like a piece of furniture! They have to be calculated to provide the required heat output for each room and to total to equal or exceed the heat loss of the property.

Tony

I don't want to contradict muggles, but if your having a brand new installation, you could size the radiators to run at 60c, allowing your new boiler to stay in condensing mode longer making it more economical.
Good luck with your build.

None taken. I was allowing (maybe incorrectly) for this being an extension rather than a full new install, and 70 should give reasonable efficiency whilst keeping the old radiators running at a usable temperature. If everything is new then 60 is absolutely the way to go.

just to say thank you everybody for your invaluable comments which I am taking on board and am meeting my intergas plumber today.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back