Intergas Compact HRE OV - can it be used in a sealed system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise on whether the Intergas Compact HRE 18 Open Vent heat only boiler can be used in a sealed system?

All references to this boiler, including the installation instructions, state a F & E tank as a requirement, with no option to use an expansion vessel instead. Yet the max water pressure permitted is 3 bar.

All other brands of heat only boiler I've looked at specifically allow either option, and show diagrams of both systems.

On another thread this boiler was recommended as a possible replacement for my old potterton netaheat Profile (still working perfectly) which is heat only with a remote expansion tank, so the F & E is just not an option.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, Dan!

But I am wondering why the installation instructions are completely silent on this.

I live in West London, and hopefully won't need to change my boiler yet, but because it's already 23 yrs old I'm getting prepared for the inevitable!

Yes you can.

Doing this exact job next week actually.

You don't live in Harpenden do you? ;).

+1

But minus the part about doing the job next week.

An expansion vessel and Pressure relief valve are required between the boiler and the first isolation valve.

James.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, Dan!

But I am wondering why the installation instructions are completely silent on this.

I live in West London, and hopefully won't need to change my boiler yet, but because it's already 23 yrs old I'm getting prepared for the inevitable!

The manuals for the Intergas boilers are a little lacking in deatil compared to the bigger brands.

I like to think of it in terms of the boiler's flexibility leading to the average IG installer being able to think for himself more than the average WB installer.

When they started putting mounting jigs in the box I was very disappointed. :evil:

If you saw a Dutch manual for these boilers you might start to understand how flexible they are and what opinion the manufacturer has of the average UK spanner monkey.

I do like the fact that the IG boiler flow temperature can be set as high as 90C, though for most days a much lower setting will be selected.

We have a few radiators in the house which are bordering on being undersized (depending on which heat calculator you use), so it's nice to know that when the temperature outside drops below 0C we have the option to turn up the boiler temp to 90C to extract slightly more heat from the rads, rather than resorting electric heaters.

The equivalent Vaillant max flow temp is just 75C, and other brands only slightly higher.

So this, coupled with positive reliability comments, means I am quite likely to choose the IG.

Shame it looks physically unattractive, but the dimensions of the 18kW OV version means it can be put inside a kitchen cupboard.

Thanks for your helpful replies.

It is expected that most installers of these boilers will have been to the manufacturer's course so that they can give a longer warranty on the boiler.

On that course the possibilities of the boiler are explained so that the manufacturer's manuals are less important because all boilers will be installed by Gas Reg engineers of whom most will have been on the course.

In most cases the system boiler is a better solution because all the pipes come out of the bottom. That can also usually be used on an OV installation too.

The only application for the OV is when the pipes are already coming from the top and its easier to leave them there.

Unfortunately your Netaheat is likely to keep working for a lot longer, albeit inefficiently.

Tony

I been walking past my Intergas for the last 3 years, and still think "God your ugly", do the same with the Fridge, Freezer and washing machine, may get round to paint some flowers on them this year. :LOL:

Thanks for that, Tony.

The existing pipe locations (flow, return, gas) match the layout for the IG OV boiler perfectly, so will probably opt for the OV and not System.

Yes, I'm hoping my current Netaheat Profile will go on for 'ever'! I nearly changed it 2 years ago, when everyone seemed to be saying I was wasting hundreds of pounds a year. I didn't change it, and a few weeks ago decided to work out exactly how much I was wasting in gas annually by keeping the existing boiler.

Based on all the relevant criteria (annual kW used specifically on CH and HW taken from previous meter readings, current cost of gas per kW, current boiler stated efficiency, new boiler stated efficiency assumed at 90%) I calculated I was 'wasting' £60 per year on gas consumption by not changing boiler. This was a pleasant surprise, and I checked and re-checked all calculations just to be sure. Glad I didn't give in to all the official pressure to scrap the boiler without first doing the calculations.

So, for the time being, I have no supply and installation costs associated with a new boiler, no servicing charges, etc. Just the 'wasting' of £60 per year, which of course will increase if gas prices rise.

I must admit I have treated this boiler in a shamefully bad way! It has NEVER had any inhibitor added, since day 1. (The original installer said there was no point him adding it, since I was about to replace a couple of radiators after he left, and he left me to add it in myself. I never did.). Also, it has NEVER been serviced in 23 years. I did replace the fan some 10 years ago, when I took the opportunity of inspecting the combustion areas, and everything appeared really clean TO ME, even after starting to brush the flueways. Carbon build up was virtually nil. No hissing, banging, no cold spots on any of the radiators. The visible flame is always a healthy blue.

2 years ago the F&E tank was replaced with an expansion vessel, when we needed the loft space for a loft conversion. The system appeared to become even quieter after that, and no leaks in spite of the high pressure. Still never added inhibitor then, since further modifications with radiators etc were envisaged.

Now I feel bad for neglecting the boiler this way over all these years, so to make amends my next step is to flush with Sentinel X400 for 4 weeks, then replace 2 very old radiators, then flush again before adding X100 inhibitor.

I have developed a great respect for this boiler, and based on the above facts see no valid reason to replace it before it packs up, hopefully years hence.

I'm unlikely to get warning of failure, hence the need for advance planning. 3 cheers for cast iron heat exchangers!!

Sorry but BG, gov.con and the rest of the suits in the know, virtually guarantee you'd save at least £250 notes a year.

That's my point, do it all! Official figures are based on averages, which can be wildly inaccurate, as I have found to my advantage!

Glad I worked with far more accurate data.

I agree Johnkirk, wildly exaggerated claims, free boilers that pay for themselves with the saving etc :rolleyes:

Supposedly there was something on the radio Wed about green deals and savings, "wildly optimistic" has got to be the quote of the year.

i fit intergas boilers, i am an approved intergas installer, i tell all my customers to have a intergas fitted, guess what boiler i have indoors?......

a netaheat profile (and its never missed a beat) :mrgreen:

dean7445 said
guess what boiler i have indoors?...... a netaheat profile (and its never missed a beat)
Oh, really? Very reassuring when a boiler installer sees fit to retain his old Potterton!

Yes it's a bullet proof boiler but then so is the intergas IMHO. Will replace the old girl with an intergas in the near future but not quite yet ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back