is hot water always on left?

Sponsored Links
ok thanks. don't have a manual and can't find anything online so hoping its on left.

Sponsored Links
Set the tap on max hot, if you can blow through the left tail but not the right, then hot should be on the left.

It will matter for your unit in the picture. It will be the hot on the left on those.

For reference though, the hot on a bath was sometimes plumbed as the furthest away from the user - the theory being (as I remember being taught) that kids/vulnerable people wouldn't be able to reach the tap and scold themselves.

ok thanks

I can't blow through right tail (all settings same).

I can just about blow through left tail (all settings same).

I was taught that the hot should be on the left as agreed with the blind association

Perhaps I was taught wrong.... but I have indeed come across baths plumbed as I described. Perhaps it was a thing from olden days :D.

Perhaps the blind association got things changed later?

I dunno... I'm hungry.

When I left home, I bought a flat that had the bath taps the correct way around, but the basin taps were vice-versa. Used to annoy the hell out of the Mrs, but as the saying goes, 'the cobbler's children are always the worst shod', so it took me ages to get around to re-piping the basin taps. After you've been plumbing all day, getting your tools out again is the last thing you want to do.

Before I re-piped properly, I just swapped the tap heads over. Still not good enough for 'er indoors. :LOL: They're never bloody happy! :rolleyes:

The bathroom was actually installed by a 'plumber' a couple of years before we moved in.

It's in the Building Regs.

Approved Doc G, page 28, para 4.6: Where hot and cold taps are provided on a "Sanitary Appliance", the hot tap should be on the left.

"Sanitary appliance" includes a bath, sink, washbasin, shower and bidet.

Dont know about England but it was a rule in scotland from at least the 1950`s on housing sites that cold should always be on the right because the of blind people and the majority of population being right handed so to stop scalding

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back