Is there a smart heating system for me? WITH PICS!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I replaced an honeywell analogue thermostat some years ago with a Danfoss TP75 programmable thermostat. This uses 2 batteries and has just two of the three wires connected, 'common' plus 'heat on'. Making the connection requests my system to call for hot water to be pumped to the rads. Simples.

Is there is a smart energy system, e.g. nest/tado etc that can simply replace this programmer with one connected to wifi and has a smart phone app?? That simply creates a circuit when heat is required (by app or programmed timer or manual room temp adjust).

Or do I need to build one myself from a Raspberry Pi?

Any help appreciated.

NB. The blue wire in the diagram is not connected.

Sponsored Links
Of course. Any will do it. Any of them will require wiring into the boiler though, the 2 wires on your current programmable thermostat are not needed. Essentially those 2 wires will go straight into the wireless receiver (plus power for it) and then the new thermostat is wireless.

Of course. Any will do it. Any of them will require wiring into the boiler though, the 2 wires on your current programmable thermostat are not needed. Essentially those 2 wires will go straight into the wireless receiver (plus power for it) and then the new thermostat is wireless.

OK, my fault - badly phrased question....

Is there a simple energy solution that does not need wiring in to the boiler? i.e. by adding some form of power can just use the two wires to create a circuit.

At the end of the day all I want this thing to do is turn heating on and off. But if I go away from home for the weekend it would be nice to be able to turn off heating remotely (and turn it back on 30 mins before coming home!)

Not possible without wiring into the boiler I'm afraid, but it's simple to do if you know what you're doing

Sponsored Links
Yes there is. With a Nest Thermostat, (other thermostats are available :D) you can simply connect it to the existing thermostat wiring.

The majority, if not all wired thermostats are connected according to the following wire colour format. I've never come across one wired otherwise, and your post suggests that this is the case, but it would still be wise for you to check yours is before proceeding.

Red=Live
Blue=Neutral
Yellow= Switched Live (or call for heat)

The Nest has two main components. The 'Heat Link' that does the switching of the system and the 'Thermostat' that tells it when to switch.

Assuming that your wiring is as described above, the 'Heat Link' part can be connected to the existing thermostat wiring as follows:

L=Red wire (Live)
N=Blue wire (Neutral)
3=Yellow wire (Call for Heat)

Connect terminals L and 2 (Common) at the 'Heat Link' to give a live supply to the switching circuit.

As the Danfoss TP75 is a programmable thermostat, I assume that you don't have another programmer elsewhere and the red wire is connected to a permanent live supply.

Finally, although the Nest 'Thermostat' uses wireless technology to communicate, it still needs 12 volts to operate. It can get this in one of two ways.

1 Wired directly to the 'Heat Link' using terminals T1 & T2.
2. By using the supplied 'plug in' power supply

That's it. It should take no more that 30 to 60 minutes to install.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Tado, so can't comment, although I imagine it will be similar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back