Jointing 1/2" imperial copper pipe to 20mm MDPE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've dug a hole for a new downstairs toilet sewer connection, and wish to join the existing 1/2" water main to 20mm MDPE I'm running into a more suitable (and shorter) connection point in the garage. I'm assuming it's 1/2", as the house was built in 1958. The pipe is coated in (very rotten) yellow rubber.

What's the best way to do this please? Plasson have pointed me towards a universal coupling which is £15, but surely there must be something cheaper? I'd put a length of 15mm copper onto it, but I'm not sure whether to sweat it on or use compression.

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I think you'd be better getting a plumber in and paying him £4.85 an hour

1/2" copper is virtually the same as 15 mm copper and so the same solder fittings can be used.

Tony

Sponsored Links
The though of it being gas did cross my mind, but the gas pipe comes into the garage at the front in iron, and the water comes in as copper at the back, so it's a pretty safe bet.

I must admit I was surprised to find copper and not lead on a house this old. Anyway, back to the question.

Tony

Thanks for that, I know they're very similar, but would you say I'm better off using EF/solder or compression for an underground fitting? It's just no-one seems to make a Cu-Cu fitting specifically for underground. Otherwise I was thinking of a better solution perhaps being a 15mm brass compression coupler with a 1/2" FI to 20mm MDPE adaptor on the other end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back