Jointing compound query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a slight modification to do to a dishwasher supply. It's Sunday and I'm out of jointing compound. My question is, does PTFE tape suffice for brass fittings or is it absolutely essential to use jointing compound?

Sponsored Links
If you want to use something a very slight smear of vaseline on the olive will assist with torquing up

Sponsored Links
I like a smear of jointing comp on my olives (ooh missus!), but should be OK without.

As a rule, a plumber who wants to call himself a pro always uses J C on his compression fittings. ;)

I like a smear of jointing comp on my olives (ooh missus!), but should be OK without.

As a rule, a plumber who wants to call himself a pro always uses J C on his compression fittings. ;)
but you don`t need it - and then you don`t stink of boss white ;)

Call this a stupid question, but why do you not need it, or why is it even invented??

I like to use a little water hawk if I am re-using an olive, but if the olive is new, I use nothing.

The OP, in the OP, did not state he was using compression fittings, just "brass". He has not since confirmed this or otherwise.

If I was still working I'd have acces to a gamut of pictures of 'failes' valves returned by a contractor subbing for one of the big national builder as faulty.

Mostly compression DCVs clogged with totally un-necessary jointing compound. Not one claimed contra charge was paid. Fit it sh1te, fit it twice.

i love jointing compound, i slap it all over the shop, i find it works really well on cheap compression fittings, ie screwfix stuff, i'd be scared not to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back