Judder / water hammer with an unvented HW cylinder

MJN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've recently moved into a new(ish) house with a Range Tribune unvented HW cylinder and are suffering (being annoyed by) juddering / water hammer and would be grateful for some advice as to how to eliminate it if possible.

Some observations which may or may not be relevant:

1. The noise appears to be coming from the pressure reducing valve (and not loose pipework etc) fitted adjacent to the cylinder.
2. The expansion vessel pressure is 3 bar (measured with the incoming mains off and a some taps open) as per the manufacturers installation instructions.
3. The incoming water pressure is 2 bar (measured before and after the PRV).
4. The PRV setting is unknown.
5. The noise is a single thud from the PRV when a tap is opened and, more evidently, when it is closed. The cold water taps appear to cause a louder noise than the hot. Even the kitchen, connected straight off the incoming mains (i.e. upstream of the PRV) causes a thud.
5. The shower, particularly when first used in the morning, causes repeated thuds for half and second or so if turned on quickly.

Does any of the above point to anything in particular? Are there other details I've missed out that could be pertinent?

Grateful for any pointers,

Mathew

Sponsored Links
Could be the PRV. As it's an unvented system, you need to get a G3-registered engineer in to have a look at it

Thanks Muggles - much appreciated.

As a point of general principle, do you think the expansion vessel being charged to 3 bar (i.e. higher than the 2 bar supply) could mean that it may not absorb transient pressure variations as well as if it were lower?

Thanks again,

Mathew

Sponsored Links
As a follow-up to this issue in case it's of use to anyone else but I have now lowered the EV pre-charge pressure to 2 bar (to match the incoming mains) and can confirm that the water hammer is no more.

Cheers,

Mathew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back