Keston Qudos 28s PCB failure Error E80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:cry: I bought a Keston qudos 28s back in 2009 under recommendation of flue lengths,not being mounted on an external wall and also good for UFH because of it's modulating pump. This was purchased well in advance of actually finishing my house (never ending project) and also being commisioned back in late 2011. We've actually only lived in the property 1 year, and now i receive a Error 80 on the LCD display(Not listed in the manual). After speaking to Keston they stated that it was an ignition electrode or PCB failure. My gas safe buddy and i changed the ignition electrode as this was the cheapest part @ £25 with the same issue Fan running continously, electrode constantly trying to ignite but just E01 on the display.
I have now removed the PCB as the reset button seem's to do diddly sqwat, with two LED's constantly energised. With a little hope of replacing what ever faulty component there is on the board. Now without testing every relay, capacitor, resistor or diode most PCB's have a little indication of a dry joint, burnt out component or popped cap. But nothing not a bloody thing.
So luckily i found someone selling a used one on Ebay for a little under £50.

But the question is does anyone out there know which component actually goes on these? as it's got to be something simple for companies to charge £100 for A refubished board. when they are £250 brand new

These are very over complicated boilers and i'm now wishing i installed a valliant or Worcester Bosch especially as we now have a 5 week old baby,

luckily we have a wood burner, solar thermal and a backup immersion!

Sponsored Links
If you had managed your building project properly you would still have had a boiler under warranty.

Its usually best to get a maker's fixed price repair for that boiler.

Messing about with repaired or dodgy used parts from Ebay would not be my choice.

You have different views but my considerable experience is that with boiler PCBs a fault is rarely visible and only found by testing components.

Tony

Thank you Agile but to be honest I was not intentionally going to take as long as I had & spend as much as I did on the project, I have made the house as green as possible and being an electrical/mechanical engineer I appreciate good workmanship that takes time when your doing all the work yourself plus working full time, anyway I digress, so I was hoping to find an answer about repairing the board so that I have a spare due to the fact that reading other people's reviews the PCBs seem to be the main fault with these units so they have got to have a common fault with them, we don't have a lot of use out of the boiler other than topping up our DHW and running our UFH throughout the house four about 4-5 a year for an hour a day because of how good the insulation is. So you can see my dilemma not wanting to spend too much money on something that should be repairable and not a throw away item.

K R Corkydon

Sponsored Links
Hi Agile I spoke to Keston regarding their fixed price repair and they want £285 + the vodka & tonic. That's £342 of my good English pounds. Double that and I have a new boiler on trade discount. So I will defo try and repair before next spring when I will rip the pile of poo out! Shame really because the are fairly easy to install and work on. Maybe Keston "sorry ideal" should plough a little money into rectifying the common probs with these units and they wouldn't have so much bad press or is that going to be a financially unviable business venture. :)

K R Regards Corkydon

At least a new boiler will have a proper guaranty if its installed by a Gas Safe reg engineer!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back