Leaking radiator valve question and help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an ecotec pro 28 boiler .I have a sleight leak in the upstairs bedroom radiator at the valve (the part that screws in to the radiator it's self ) there is already some old ptf tape around ,and this is where it leaking from.

I have tried tightening the nut but it is still the same ,i have turned the lock-shield valve fully off for now .Is this time for a new valve? if so what is the best way to fit a new one ? should i turn the switch off at the boiler ,open the bleed valve at the top rad and catch the water .

Then undo the valve nut near to the lock-shield valve and catch the water then fit a new valve with ptf tape around the thread .Is this ok or do i need to do more (first time here with leaking valve,bloody house needs al-sorts doing lol )keeping me busy.

Sponsored Links
Have you pulled off the white plastic cover to confirm it's not leaking from the gland nut underneath?

Sounds like you need some new ptfe tape around the thread. Turn both valves off, drain the rad, remove the tail by using either a spanner or a large allen key. Remove all the old tape from the thread then rewind it (about 15 times) - Make sure you wind it in the opposite direction to tightening with new tape then refit. That's if its the tail.

If its leaking from the nut connecting to the valve then you could try a little ptfe but more likely you need new valve.

Sponsored Links
I never know why but the thread seems to be cut too deep on the rads and that needs a lot of tape. DIYers dont realise that less than 10 turns is unlikely to make a good seal!

Instead of PTFE, use loctite 55. There are a videos on youtube which will explain how.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back