Main Combi 25 eco not firing/lighting (heating and hotwater)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My combi boiler occasionally (and becoming more frequently) is not lighting for either heating or HW.

It can be working fine but normally when Ive noticed, it tries to heat/reheat water, then the H or HW light will come on and the gas will flow, then clicks but fails to light.

It will either continue letting gas flow and waiting for a light for a while, or eventually go off and flash E168 for a reset. Even after a reset it continues doing this. Turning the tap on full and turning the boiler back on helped every now and then but its not working now.

The pressure is fine between 0.5 and 2.5.

I have just been turning it on and off, water full on and off to get it back running (not sure it was just coincidence however) but not nothing seems to help.

Im not entirely sure it resets properly either.

Anybody with any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Pressure should be between 1.0 and 1.5 cold and not rise by more than 0.3 bar when hot.

You have a gas or combustion problem which we don't give DIY advice on here.

Advice would be to correct the pressure and get a competent gas reg engineer.

Tony

Thanks Agile.

My apologies, I was supposed to type "Working pressure is between 0.5 and 2.5"....its sits at about 1.0 when cold.

Just opened my condensation chamber and it was full of water and silvery/gray sludge, Im hoping that solves it.

Does this fill up quickly or should it be full? Ive only been in this house 18months and never emptied it, so not sure what a normal state the chamber should be in.

If this doesnt solve it I will try testing the reset switch as Im not sure it is resetting properly.

Sponsored Links
Nope, wasnt the chamber unfortunately as it E168 again this morning, but now not seemingly wanting to reset.

Anybody know what contacts to bridge that would simulate a reset?

Read rule 10 mate.

Join the Combustion Chamber by entering your Gas Safe details.

Re-post in the CC, you will then get some help in there.

James

James, I think this is a DIYer!

Or at least I hope so!

Tony

Yes I am a DIYer, and can certainly fit a new selector switch or undo a condensation trap without people panicking.

AGILE, Im not likely to be messing about with pressure switches or other gas connections. Im just begrudged paying +£80 for somebody to come and do something simple that I can try first. So a little help would be appreciated.

Correction, the condensate trap is part of the flue system! Are you competent to test and do you know how to test the flue system once the job has been completed, along with all the other checks that should be done once work has been completed on a gas fitting? A boiler is classed as a gas fitting btw. Are you aware of any safety alerts on your appliance? This is only half of what you pay for a gas engineer!

James.

Next you will be telling me I need a qualified electrician to check my wiring after I swap a light switch.

And as for the sump? Are you joking me there are tests to see if Ive screwed it back on correctly?!

The trap is part of the flue system, ever heard of Carbon Monoxide? You know the stuff, amongst others, that travel through the flue system? Your responsibility if anything ever happens as you've openly admitted to working on your appliance! On your head be it my friend!

James.

E168 can indicate a problem with the pcb, and/or several other components within the boiler, that also need checking prior to deciding a course of action.

As said, it seems that you've reached the limit of what a DIY'er can test without the necessary knowledge and test equipment.

Looks like you need to call in an RGI.

Cheers Joe, that's all I needed telling/confirming really, instead of unhelpful/patronising comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back