Main Medway Super Water Heater- little or big problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Main Medway Super water heater which supplies hot water to the house. Recently it has started to run cold after a minute or so of providing hor water. By turning off the hot tap and then starting again it appears to solve the problem (until a minute or so later). The problem is particularly bad first thing in the morning (I imagine when water pressure is low as other households have showers). The shower will run ice cold until another hot tap is run: when this tap finally runs warm, it can be turned off and the shower will again run warm for a minute or so.

Even with low demand and decent water pressure and the temperature turned to the maximum, you can only ever get hand-warm water- no chance of scalding!

Is this a common problem that could be resolved by a simple service or does it sound like something more terminal?

Sponsored Links
probably diaphragm gone.a few quid to buy. or possibly the filter in the water inlet. but I'd go for the diaphragm, seeing as you're having to "jumpstart" the hot by turning on more than one appliance.

Get it serviced, but forewarn the serviceman that it needs a diaphragm.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like there's a chance it might be reasonably straightforward to get sorted.

I was thinking of getting British Gas to do the service: they cover our central heating and whenever we've had to call them they've been fast and excellent. At the moment they have an offer where they will do the service for £45, or offer the service and 12 months of cover for a further £55.

Would a diaphragm replacement be straightforward (would I likely just have to pay for the part)? What is a ball park figure for the service and diaphragm change? I'm trying to see if British Gas will be competitive.

Thanks in advance!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back