max distance between an oil tank and boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently looking at where to site an oil tank. I understand there are numerous conditions attached to this (for fire prevention, leaks etc.) but is there a maximum distance an oil tank can be from the boiler?

My ideal plan would have them separated by approx 17m. This would put in an un-obstructive place, with good for access for refilling. Does it depend on anything in particular such as the height of the outlet/inlet points, diameter of pipe etc?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with 17m. I would guess 15mm but I'm a gas person not oil - you really need the advice of an OFTEC installer. The OFTEC website has some useful public documents.

10mm will be plenty for a domestic sized boiler.
Your tank installer will be able to advise you.

If a Balanced flue Boiler 1.80 Mtrs from the flue terminal

I can only imagine that you are locating the tank near to an EXTERNAL boiler??? so the 1.80 metre rule would apply ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies.

If a Balanced flue Boiler 1.80 Mtrs from the flue terminal

I can only imagine that you are locating the tank near to an EXTERNAL boiler??? so the 1.80 metre rule would apply ;)

Reference the above quote. Not quite sure what you mean. The boiler will be internal, the tank will be 17m in the garden. I am wondering if this is too far (i.e. max distance, not min).

Depends on height of oil tank.

Is there a calculation on height x distance as regards to pressure?

Theres such a thing as too much pressure as well as too little.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back