Megaflo taking cold water at odd times

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry for poor title, but its a bit of a tricky situation. Few weeks ago my megaflo started to take cold water at odd times (you can hear in the whole house when the mains water comes on).

I looked at the over flow and sure enough it had recently been running. Looked at Google and saw the need the replenish the air bubble. Real easy job done, or so I thought.

A week or so later and I can hear the mains feeding the tank again, only short bursts about 5 seconds at time, maybe 3 time a night. I put a bucket under the overflow, but nothing is leaking. Paranoia sets in, I must have a leak, but look as I might no leak. But every day I still get these bursts of mains coming on. I checked the boiler itself, no loss of pressure, no overflow.

So I'm thinking, maybe it’s not leaking anywhere, maybe the cylinder did not fill up properly when I discharged it. We never use a full tank of water (its as tall as me), so maybe its just filling up in bursts, maybe there is a problem with the water inlet valve.

I'm not daft or terribly hands on but I want to know what it is so when I get a man to fix it I have an idea of what is wrong. Look as I might on Google I can't find this issue. Any ideas out there ???

Sponsored Links
Possibly sticking pressure reducing valve. Pressure drops in the house and only when the outside mains pressure is great enough does it open in a burst and lets the water in before shutting off.

Take it off and dunk it in limescale remover may help could be the filter needs cleaning as well.

Doubt its your megaflo, check your toilet cistern/s especially if they have internal overflows.

Picasso, you must have thought I was born yesterday, I did this basic check before getting up into the loft (where the megaflo lives).

Just for sanity I isolated all the toilets for a morning and then switched them back on again. Would you believe it the main toilet is leaking :oops: :oops:

Many thanks for the great advice

problem now solved

Sponsored Links
Picasso, you must have thought I was born yesterday, I did this basic check before getting up into the loft (where the megaflo lives).
TBH, I would have edited your post to remove the seemingly scathing response to what was completely correct advice from Picasso!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back