Minimum temperature for thermostat - for the "big freez

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

With the sudden cold snap that has hit the UK, I was just wondering whether I should change my minimum temperature setting on my thermostat.

I have had a look on the web generally and have found various numbers quote - in particular 5 degrees and 10 degrees.

What do you guys think I should have as a minimimum setting for when I am not in the house?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if you look at your home insurance policy, it will probably say that if you leave the house unoccupied, you should set the timer to 24 hours and the stat to 12C

Remember that modern lofts are very well insulated from the warmth of the house, so pipes and tanks should be lagged, even if the house is warm. The pipes especially because they will cool fast, and are most liable to burst at joints, elbows and valves. look at Climaflex and similar plastic foam.

In some cases you can flop loft insulation over the pipes which will also help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back