MIRA electric shower stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We have a MIRA Advance electric shower which has worked perfectly since we've had it (several years) until this morning.

My OH had his shower just fine, but when I went in after him the shower switched off after a few seconds and both the Water Supply and Reset lights were lit, and the shower was making a beeping noise. I switched off the isolator switch, waited a few seconds, put it back on and tried again but the same thing happened.

Also I've noticed that when ever we turn the bathroom sink taps on and then off, a little burst of water comes out of the shower head, just for a second, but every time the bathroom sink taps are turned on then off. I don't know if the same would happen if we tried other taps in the house (by this time I was in the house alone and was pressed for time for work, so unable to experiment).

I checked the water pressure gauge on the boiler and that's fine.

One thing which may be connected or coincidental ... I know our local water authority are doing work in our area this week, as we all got letters warning that the water may turn brown at times, but as far as I'm aware I don't see how this would affect an electric shower?

If anyone has any ideas as to what the problem might be that'd be great.

Sponsored Links
Need more info.

Did you only get the water supply/reset neon on ?
Was they flashing or Permanent ?

Have you tried resetting and commissioning shower ?
Thats what you need to do first for any fault on a advance to see if fault clears or comes back.

it could be connected to the work being carried out on the external water pipes it is possible that some detriment has been disturbed and has blocked the inlet filter to your shower causing it to lock out under low water pressure conditions, as I say this is only a possibility not saying that it definately is that, get OH to turn power off and check the inlet filters .

Need more info.

Did you only get the water supply/reset neon on ?
Was they flashing or Permanent ?

Have you tried resetting and commissioning shower ?
Thats what you need to do first for any fault on a advance to see if fault clears or comes back.

Both the Water Supply and Reset lights were on constant, not flashing, and the light above (indicating that the water was selected to high pressure). The unit was emitting a high pitched beep.

I haven't tried resetting and commissioning the shower yet (whatever that is ) :confused: Like I said, this happened this morning as I was getting ready for work so didn't have the time to hunt the manual out and trying to figure out what was wrong.

But I'm home now so will see what the manual says - thanks for your response.

Sponsored Links
it could be connected to the work being carried out on the external water pipes it is possible that some detriment has been disturbed and has blocked the inlet filter to your shower causing it to lock out under low water pressure conditions, as I say this is only a possibility not saying that it definately is that, get OH to turn power off and check the inlet filters .

If the above doesn't work, we'll look into this.

Thank you.

By what you have said with the neons that can relate to a poss low flow to shower.
As you said they are working on the mains supply this can shift crud in the mains, so check the filter first.

Low flow can also trip the thermal trip.

btw the water co is responsible for any damage caused by their works (at least down here they are)

Well, I tentatively started the shower this morning, had it on 'Low' rather than 'High' flow, and the shower head was on the gentlest setting ... and it worked.

It wasn't the strongest flow, admittedly, and it seemed to fluctuate, but at least I was able to use it.

I ended up not commissioning it last night, so maybe it is all connected with the work the water board are doing in the area over these couple of weeks? Hope so anyway.

Thanks for all who contributed. Just hope I haven't jinxed things :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back