Mixer taps, Cold not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I have a mixer tap in the bath which incorporates the shower as well (theres an up and down pull tab to switch between the two. Recently the cold tap stopped working, It didnt turn as far as it should and no cold water came out of either the shower or bath. It is a one spout two tap system, If I give it a bang or twist the push pull tab to operate the bath or shower it eventually starts working, Bit confused, Is it a washer inside that needs changing and has got stuck or something? Dont want to buy a new mixer as this one is only a year old!!

Sponsored Links
If you can dismantle the tap, the washer (which could well be swollen) is fixed onto a part called a jumper - which stops the washer rotating when you turn the water on / off. This jumper is sticking down.
Fit a new washer, and grease any internal threads of the tap with vaseline.
John :)

Thanks John. I can get the tap cap off and undo the Phillips screw. Does the tap then just pull off ( it seems stuck on) once it is off what am I looking for? Sorry tap newbie here!

Typically, you lose the hot / cold embellisher (prise it off, some are threaded) and that reveals a screw which you take out. This should allow the hand turning top to pull off (some are really tight, being stuck with crud / limescale whatever) and then the cover is unscrewed. Beneath that is the brass tap insert, which unscrews from the tap body.
So, water off and see how you go......if all goes well the new washer will just push onto a stem, but some have a brass nut securing them. Just turn the insert on before you screw it back in.
Be lucky!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Ok water off and now I know what im looking for! Its relatively modern so hopefully the washer just pushes on. They are rubber I take it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back