Mixing 10mm Plastic and 15mm Copper on one Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, new to the forum so apologies if I am not asking questions in the right place.

We've just had a new designer radiator fitter and the installer has used the old copper 15mm(?) return pipe but connected the feed with white plastic 10mm barrier.

Apart from it looking a bit naff, I am a little concerned about this approach, I have read about the system not being balanced, is it acceptable?

The rest of the CH system is copper to the radiators and 22mm into the floorspace for the main feeds.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I hope you havn`t payed him ! Get him back to sort that mess out, designer radiator with a 10mm plastic flow and a 15mm copper return would look terrible !
it should still work but i cant understand why he should think thats acceptable.

the whole point of paying extortionate prices for designer rads is for the look so to connect it like this defeats the point, shouldnt affect the performance too much to be honest but I would never accept it installed like that

We are fitting three designer chrome rads in a bathroom we are doing..(it's a large bathroom!)

We have piped in 15mm copper under the floor, compression elbows up to chrome pipe up to the rads.

Chrome rads need chrome pipe, or chrome pipe covers but they go brown after a while.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for their comments.

seeing as all of the Radiators in the house are 15mm copper, would using 10mm barrier pipe on both sides be acceptable practice or would it cause the system to be unbalanced?

I am not happy with the look but thats another matter. The builder/plumber is stating that what he's done is common acceptable practice.

Thanks again for the replies

It should work fine. But that if deffinatly not common practice just a lazy, cheap and easy way to do it. Tell them you are not happy and want it put right, especially on a designer rad !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back