Monobloc Mixer Kitchen Taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some weeks ago the H.W side of my monobloc kitchen tap started to drip. After putting up with it for a month or so I decided to try and inspect and if necessary replace the faulty ceramic cartridge. Struggle as I might, I could not budge what I assume to be the cartridge which is behind the H.W.knob.
I therefore removed the tap, put it carefully in a vice to hold it, and tried again to turn the hexagonal nut which I assume is on the end of the cartridge. Once again the nut/cartridge would not turn. I ended up buying a new monobloc tap of similar style to the original. The new tap is of a make called Swirl. The original one, by the way, is only about four years old.
Before installing the new tap I thought I would make sure the cartridges could be removed for future reference. Once again, however, the cartridges would not budge.
Could anyone please explain why the cartridges seem to be unmoveable. I do not fancy having to buy and fit a new monobloc each time it starts to drip.
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Buying top quality gear i see. :rolleyes:

Had a customer who paid a lot of money for some ponsy bathroom company to fit an overpriced shoddily made bathroom suite.

18 months in the bath taps were dripping. However, they were mounted on the wall side of the bath so no access. Which really baffled the gibbon they sent round to fit it at the same time I was there to service the boiler.

Poor customer was in tears as it wasn't the first problem she had had (not often I offer a hug for the customer).

Anyway. After a quick squeeze, I assured her it wasn't a problem. Nipped to he van and got my trusty 18v Dewalt Impact Driver and a socket set.

Asked the monkey and his supervisor (that had driven 45 minutes or so to get there to prevent WWIII) to give me the new parts, and within two minutes the offending tap mechanism was out and a new one in before the two idiots had even worked out what I was planning.

Not often customers offer to give me hugs now come to think of it. But.... mission accomplished.

Moral of the story? Cheap tat is not designed to be repaired. Let alone repaired easily.

Dan,

I do not know the make of the original tap. It was installed when the kitchen was refurbished. However, the new monobloc was bought at Screwfix and cost £49.99. Top of the range it isn't but neither is it cheap tat so my question still is why won't the cartridges unscrew ? Somehow the taps were put together so they should come apart.
Kitchen sinks are generally thin stainless steel these days and won't take brute force. It is not easy to hold the tap against the torque of a spanner on the cartridge. That is why I tried removing the cartridge with the tap held in a vice.
Have you removed cartridges from a kitchen sink monobloc? My socket spanners in my socket set were not deep enough to engage the hexagonal nut of the cartridge because the spindles from the cartridges which hold the tap knobs protrude too far. I had to use a box spanner.
Regards,
Gordon

Sponsored Links
Dan,
I am not doubting your experience in replacing taps or doing new installations.
It is your experience in removing cartridges which hold the ceramic disks in Monobloc mixer kitchen taps that I would be interested to read about in case I am overlooking a vital aspect of this job.
Regards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back