Most reliable Boiler? Glow Worm, Intergas, Viessmann.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I'm having a very old open vented system overhauled, including replacement of all 8 radiators, tanks, etc. I have decided to stick to unvented as I don't want to risk the potential problems related to pressurising such old pipework (37 years old).

I can't decide whether to have an Intergas HRE 18 ov or Viessmann Vitodens 100-w ov installed, or should I stick to a mainstream brand like Glow Worm or Vaillant?

Hopefully I can get some insight and opinions of professionals and consumers/users who have had some real world experience with them.

To me, the most important thing is the reliabilty and quality engineering rather than good marketing or hype.

At first, I had pretty much decided to go for a Glow Worm Ultracom 18hhxi, but now i'm having second thoughts due to discovering the existence of these less well known but arguably superior European built machines.

I know this has been discussed many times, in many similar threads, but I couldn't find any that are very recent. The main reason I would like fresh advice is because it seems the early Viessmann Vitoden 100's were an absolute nightmare, with many unhappy customers. Is it true that all the problems have been sorted out now, and the current models are extremely reliable?

Thank you in advance, and would appreciate your collective input, both professional and user/owner.

Sponsored Links
Intergas.

By its very design is simpler and more robust than any of the others you have mentioned. After that on your list would be Vaillant or Glow worm then Veissmann.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply.

I am leaning more towards the Intergas. I'm very impressed by the video on their website which shows exploded views of all the major parts. It looks like a very good, simple design with minimal parts.

The only thing i'm not sure about is the heat exchanger. It seems to be aluminium. I've been advised that aluminium ones aren't as good as stainless steel? (although the Intergas heat exchanger looks very good).

The waterways are copper.

Aluminum has better thermal transfer than stainless.

See more dead Vaillant heat exchangers than I have Intergas.

Have had to change a Intergas exchanger once (casting fault). Couple of nuts, 4 bolts, job done.

Been working with them since 2004.

Sponsored Links
Can I interest you in an Ideal logic???? :LOL:

You may want to look into after care with intergas as its a postcode lottery, you could get good ol DanR next day first time fix OR you could be waiting a week for your local rep who aint got time to attend

I find both vaillant and viessman(vitodens 200) equally reliable, but then I install them with their own weather compensation controls, which is the way they do it in Germany..

I also don't use chemicals, but always install a filter..(not a magnaclean)

Unsurprisingly I beleive the longer pump running times and lower temperatures offer real benefits in terms of longevity, reliability and economy, with the benefit of greater comfort....

Can I interest you in an Ideal logic???? :LOL:

You may want to look into after care with intergas as its a postcode lottery, you could get good ol DanR next day first time fix OR you could be waiting a week for your local rep who aint got time to attend

Not on the Intergas agents list yet, although I tend to look after my own installs anyway.

Agree they could do better on this front, but they have got in house engineers now, covering London.

You know my feelings and reasoning on Ideals. ;)

How about a vokera ??

failing that get a Wolf boiler ? they are fitted in the Kremlin, keeping Putin warm .

They must be reliable ? other wise the installer would be getting a bang on the door at midnight from the KGB, & end up in the Volga wearing concrete shoes ;) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back