Moving a gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want/need to move my gas meter to allow for a support cupboard to be built.

i have asked a plumber about this and he has said it can be done but i need to source a piece of pipe as for him to buy a length would be uneconomical (rest would be left to waste i guess)

i got my vernier out and measure the pipe and its roughly 34mm, maybe 35mm

is this the correct pipe
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Copper-Tube-Pipe-35mm-x-500mm-Waste-Pipe-CT500-35-/110382202362

the plumber is currently away so can't ask him (plus he's a friend of my father in laws so would need to go through him anyway...more hassle)

thanks in advance

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Only the Gas Transporter or their nominated Contractor can move a Gas Meter unless it is a secondary meter - which I'll bet it isn't!!! :eek:

no its not, only meter, the plumber (reputable one too) said it should be a problem, its only being raised by a foot.

on a second look, its the outlet of the meter that would be changed not the inlet, the anaconda would still be long enough.

Perfectly legal and ok for someone with right qualification to move a meter without touching the service ,its a basic job.
God knows what pipe your plumber is on about asking you to source any pipe can be bought in 1 metre lengths

Sponsored Links
Where do you buy 1metre lengths,B and spew do 2metres,
All the merchants round here charge per meter but you have to buy in lengths of 3m.

Can't see the meter being raised 12" without strangling the anaconda , these can only be bent 'so much'.

I have seen that problem overcome by fitting two anacondas in series!

Lcgs.
Plumbcentre and PTS will both sell pipe in 1 metre lengths from 15mm to 35mm . Its called cutting it off a 3 metre length. Only one they wont sell in reduced lengths is chrome plated or coils of microbore/

Agile should you be giving bodging gas advice on a public forum

I was not advising using two anacondas in series, only having seen it as I expect that you will have as well.

Whilst clearly a bodge I cannot see anything dangerous about it.

By mentioning it you have suggested it and as you are not qualified in meters i will not discuss the rights and wrongs of it with a lay person as a little knowledge on your part could prove dangerous.

I was not advising using two anacondas in series, only having seen it as I expect that you will have as well.

Whilst clearly a bodge I cannot see anything dangerous about it.

Can't say i've ever seen two anacondas joined together , i doubt you have either ;) , wouldn't this place the ECV outside of the meter box? , hope you filled out the relevant paperwork on that one.

I can only assume your saying this is acceptable as most RGIs 'would have seen it'.

Meter box?

I would only expect to see it indoors where meters are fitted in many older properties in london.

Merely saying that I have seen it is not recommending it. Just as saying my customer murdered his wife is not recommending that anyone else does the same thing.

Most of us regularly see incorrect installations.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back