Need to drain oil tank ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester oil fired c/h boiler. On the annual service the filter is changed along with other routines. A friend has a similar set-up in Corfu and has been advised that he must drain his storage tank dry to clean out the bottom sludge, the last thing he wants surely is to use the last lot at the bottom in his boiler ? I suspect that his boiler has never been serviced and wonder if doing this would now solve any possible problems ?

Sponsored Links
It is usual to have the tank sloping slightly away from the draw off.
This usually provents any problem. Also using a paper filter is much better
than these strainers.
I would advise not using the boiler for a couple of hours after a refill to allow anything to settle.
With plastic tanks though there is far less problems. Most of the problems were more due to rusting steel tanks.

What age is your tank? We recommend that your tank is dipped with a water finding paste to see if any water has settled in the bottom and remove any water if you find any present.

All tank outlets are usually about 1" up from the base to allow settlement to settle below the outlet and single skin steel tanks usually have a drain to allow sludge removal easily.

We get called out to remove sludge from both plastic and steel tanks and usually find that water etc has got in from damaged vents or caps being left of fill points etc, steel tanks do not usually rust on the inside (unless they have water in them) as the oil inside them acts as a rust inhibitor.

As you already have a filter fitted and changed annually you should be ok but if your filter keeps getting blocked then this should alert you to any problems in your tank that might need addressing. Your service engineer should be able to recommend a local tank expert who can filter your fuel and remove any sludge if this is something he doesn't do himself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back