Need to replace an old boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

I'm wondering how much it might cost to replace an old boiler (Non-condensing) with a new regular/system boiler for a two bedroom house. And what's best way to do it.

The old boiler at the moment is positioned in the under stairs storage room. I was told if the new boiler goes in the same place, a condensate pipe would have to run though the wall to kitchen then go over the cupbard (so close to the ceiling) to reach the outside wall.

In addition I was told the easy way is to run it directly to the outlet instead of to an existing waste pipe.

This sounds rather dreadful to me. After a bit googling, it seems a layout like this might require a pump since it goes upward and it'd be more prone to freeze.

I would like the boiler to be replaced in the Kitchen and connect to the sink pipe but the Kitchen is a bit small so not sure if this would be possible. I also have no idea how much the extra pipework of connecting it to exisitng Rads and shower and taps could cost.

I understand the actual cost could vary a lot but would appreciate an estimate on how much it might cost either way.

Thanks a lot!

Brian

Sponsored Links
If the boiler is under the stairs surely you must be on an outside wall already? Or how is the flue getting outside for the existing boiler?

If the boiler is under the stairs surely you must be on an outside wall already? Or how is the flue getting outside for the existing boiler?

Unfortunately the stairs are against neiboughor's wall.

I'm really not good at this stuff. The current boiler is not a condensating one (should be a conventional) so I'm not even sure if it has any pipe going outside (sorry I'm away from home right now can't really check).

Does a boiler, irespective of its type, have to have a flue going out?

Anyway what I was told was a condensate pipe will be needed to go from the under stairs storeroom to kitchen (through the wall) then go over the kitchen wall cabinet then through the kitchen outside wall.

I guess my main question is, is repositioning a boiler going to be very expensive, considering all the new pipes that have to be put in?

To have the boiler repositioned to the kitchen I might have to rip off a third of the kitchen wall cabinet to make room for it.

Thanks!

I'm really not good at this stuff. The current boiler is not a condensating one (should be a conventional) so I'm not even sure if it has any pipe going outside (sorry I'm away from home right now can't really check).

Anyway what I was told was a condensate pipe will be needed to go from the under stairs storeroom to kitchen (through the wall) then go over the kitchen wall cabinet then through the kitchen outside wall.

I guess my main question is, is repositioning a boiler going to be very expensive, considering all the new pipes that have to be put in?

To have the boiler repositioned to the kitchen I might have to rip off a third of the kitchen wall cabinet to make room for it.

Thanks!

You most definitely have a flue on the existing boiler that is going outside.
If you are under the stairs it must be going straight out the wall somewhere as it can't go up through the stairs.

Piping the connection into the kitchen for a boiler in the kitchen shouldn't be much of a problem. Another alternative is have the boiler in the tank cupboard upstairs or even in the loft. My preference is a kitchen for the boiler.

Sponsored Links

Thanks!

You most definitely have a flue on the existing boiler that is going outside.
If you are under the stairs it must be going straight out the wall somewhere as it can't go up through the stairs.

Piping the connection into the kitchen for a boiler in the kitchen shouldn't be much of a problem. Another alternative is have the boiler in the tank cupboard upstairs or even in the loft. My preference is a kitchen for the boiler.

Thanks for the help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back