Need to replace faulty Honeywell ST9400C

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a Honeywell ST9400C programmer which is less than 2 years old and it has been playing up for a while. But now it seems like it just won't send signal to boiler to switch on hot water. So I guess I need to replace it. I've read mixed reviews of this programmer so I'm thinking of getting Siemens RWB29.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/siemens-rwb29-multi-choice-programmer/65118

I've got couple of questions. Is it a better choice than what I currently have? Would I be able to fit it on the same faceplate as Honeywell, if not would it be fairly easy to change them?
Is it going to last longer than Honeywell?
I've got a Vaillant system boiler. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I certainly wouldn't replace it just yet, and certainly not with a siemens.

Have you checked it electrically as I would suspect a motorised valve first.

There was a dodgy batch of 9400 programmers but they've apparently fixed the problem now so you should be ok getting a new one, we've replaced quite a few "under warranty" (actually outside their official warranty but Honeywell sent us 30 free units when we complained about the issue). The replacements all seem reliable so far.

I've just purchased Drayton LP722 which had good reviews. I haven't installed it yet. I had contacted Honeywell with regards to support and they asked me to provide them some information including the recipet but I can't find the receipt and it was bought sometime in August 2011. Do you think they'll replace it for free?

Sponsored Links
if you take the clock off the back plate (two grub screws underneath and lift/lever gently off the plate), there is a serial number/data badge.

The 'dodgy' batch is 1037 - 1139.

As per others, have had to change a few.

DH

Thanks for your replies everyone. Mine is 1116 which means its part of that dodgy batch. I've contacted two plumbers and both have spoken highly of Honeywell programmers so I guess I was just unlucky to have the one from the dodgy batch.
I'll contact Honeywell on Monday and would take it from there.

yep i'd speak to them, most installers recommend honeywell gear it's normally very good

Thanks for your replies everyone. Mine is 1116 which means its part of that dodgy batch. I've contacted two plumbers and both have spoken highly of Honeywell programmers so I guess I was just unlucky to have the one from the dodgy batch.
I'll contact Honeywell on Monday and would take it from there.

For "BlueEagle78" I have a unit number 1119 and was wondering how you got on with contacting Honeywell. Their website says that they do not deal with the end user and I am having some difficulty contacting the electrician that supplied and fitted the unit.

You do really need to contact the installer, but I wouldn't worry too much about what Honeywell's website says. Give them a ring, explain the situation, and see what they can do for you.

You may have a case under the sale of goods act for products that failed outside manufacturer's warranty. The fact that the products were known to be faulty can only strengthen your case.

You do really need to contact the installer, but I wouldn't worry too much about what Honeywell's website says. Give them a ring, explain the situation, and see what they can do for you.

You may have a case under the sale of goods act for products that failed outside manufacturer's warranty. The fact that the products were known to be faulty can only strengthen your case.

Thank's for the tip, Whitespirit66.

[Did you mean "you do (not) really need to contact the installer"?]

I contacted Honeywell (yesterday) via the on-line enquiries facility on their website but if I do not hear from them by Monday I will give the UK Technical Help Desk a call, as you suggest. The number that I have is 08457 678999. Any idea how sure we are about those serial numbers (1037-1139)?

Cheers.

Up-date on this situation: I had a response from Honeywell who have asked for a few more details so that they consider if a replacement can be sent out. I have returned the details and I am waiting for their decision.

I have information of a more general nature: The "Date Code" for this device can be seen on the display if the '+' button is held for about 8 seconds. This is followed by a check sum number. The two numbers will alternate a few times before the display returns to normal. However, on my programmer, the number displayed did not match the number on the back of the unit. Displayed 'Date Code' = 1911, 'Date Code' on label = 1119. Has anyone else experienced this?

M

1119 and 1911 are the same, both the 19th week of 2011

American verses European date format - I get it. Thank's for the clarification, Muggles. I provided the information to Honeywell late on Tuesday afternoon. I am still waiting for a reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back