New boiler installation - Contravention of regulations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My wife and I have just moved into a new 3 bed semi detached house. Prior to completion the vendors had a new boiler installed as the old one was kaput.

The boiler installed was an Ideal Logic Combi 24+.

The issue is that no room thermostat has been fitted which I believe is a requirement these days.

The boiler itself has a timer and there is a setting to control the temperature of the radiators and the temperature of the DHW. Each radiator has a TRV valve apart from the radiators in the hall and bathroom.

Should a room thermostat have been fitted at installation? We are finding it difficult to regulate the temperature in the house.

I just wanted to check where I stand before I contact the installer.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Yes it should. Without it the installation doesn't comply with Part L of the building regulations.

Not a major problem, but my 6 year old knows how to fit one so it makes one wonder what else has been screwed up.

Had the boiler's Benchmark certificate been completed? Look in the back of the manual.

If not then the boiler is classed as at risk. So you can complain to Gas Safe
Might be worth giving the installer a ring though as they might have been stricken with a tight arse customer trying to get everything done on the cheap sure to the house sale.

Thanks for the response.

I've checked the back of the manual and it is all filled in. The room thermostat section is just left blank as is the weather compensation section. There is definitely no weather compensation fitted as there is no sensor on the outside wall.

I've messaged the installer to ask about the lack of a room thermostat so we shall see what he says.

A gas safe regulation certificate has been obtained as has confirmation of the 7 year guarantee from Ideal.

If the installer says a thermostat wasn't required and refuses to install one would gas safe be the way forward or approaching Ideal? Would gas safe/Ideal be interested that no thermostat had been installed?

Many thanks for all your help.

Sponsored Links
You are probably right. After all I have had a brand new boiler out of it which is unusual when buying a house!

I wondered if anyone would be able to recommend a wireless room thermostat with an idiots guide of how to fit this to the boiler. I am guessing it is not that complicated and one does not need to be gas safe registered to complete such a task.

To give you a flavour of the layout of the house. It is 2 storeys high with 2 bedrooms downstairs on your left and right as you come in the front door. The kitchen, living room, main bathroom and 3rd bedroom/study are upstairs. The 2nd bedroom has an en-suite. The boiler is situated in the 2nd bedroom in a cupboard. Our aim is to have an en-suite in the 1st bedroom as well at some point.

Many thanks for all your help.

James

If you're going to fit a thermostat use the opportunity to get a z-wave or NEST one. That way you can control your heating from your phone or PC when away.

You'll pay a little more, but not much. I did mine for under £60, and 10 mins of my time to fit it. If you get a NEST or similar they get fitted for you for about £200 all in.

Well well worth it. You'll wonder how you lived without it once it is done

I wondered if anyone would be able to recommend a wireless room thermostat with an idiots guide of how to fit this to the boiler. I am guessing it is not that complicated and one does not need to be gas safe registered to complete such a task.

James

Honeywell DT92E. Afraid with this boiler you do need to be GS registered as accessing the electrics involves removing the room-sealing cover from the boiler

No.

The notion that Z Wave and Nest are the best controls out there.

And that Internet control is the k9's globes.

Not sure what Dominoman does for a living, but I respectfully hope he doesn't specify heating systems. ;)

All I want is one that will allow me to set the temperature. I guess it would be nice to have one that allows the timer to set different times for different days e.g. weekends.

Hi all

I've bought a Drayton RF3+ to be wired in to the Logic Combi 24+. I've contacted a couple of plumbers who said they wouldn't know how to wire it in... concerning!

Anyone recommend a plumber in Plymouth who could complete this simple task?

It needs to be a plumber as the front of the boiler needs removing and therefore Gas Safe regulations come into play.

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back