No hot water from new Vaillant ecotec boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine has had a new boiler installed in his 2 bed flat. Since the install 10 days ago he has had virtually no hot water. The installer has 'got it going' a couple of times, and on his last visit he said the problem was that a cartridge needed replacing in the shower mixer, and quoted another £170-00 to install it. This sounded nonsense to me, as he cant get hot water at the sink, basin, or bath either. Another issue was that he quoted to do a power flush, because the rads and system are existing, but has just used chemicals, claiming that the chemicals use constitute a power flush. On his last visit my friend got the manuals out, and asked him to ring Vaillant technical support, but the guy wouldn't, and he still didn't get it working. Any ideas as to what is wrong, and what action my friend can take..? I have checked out the installer and he is gas safe registered, and showed his card prior to starting work.

Sponsored Links
Nice of you to tell us about this.

Clearly this is a useless and fraudulent installer re power flushing and the cause of the fault on hot water.

Obviously the owner expects the job to be done properly and should not have paid him!

Its difficult after the event if the owner has paid him to do anything about the lack of the power flush but the hot water should be sorted out but a letter before action is needed and if necessary a county court claim.

I am not sure why you are posting this rather than the owner. Which area is it in?

Its also intreaguing where this installer was found and why he was chosen. How much did he charge for the installation? I would charge £840 !

Tony

Blimey tony that's harsh mate, I only chemical flush it's fine and is quoted on benchmark that a chemical flush complies, he may also be right re the shower mixer mate! Especially if it's been converted from tank an cylinder system, it might have a low pressure shower that's passing, or as has been said it may be piped reverse... Isolate the cold water inlet to the boiler an open any hot tap if u got water flowing it's probably the shower

Sponsored Links
he quoted to do a power flush, because the rads and system are existing, but has just used chemicals, claiming that the chemicals use constitute a power flush.

He quoted for a power flush and the owner expected that he was going to get a power flush which is far more expensive than a chemical clean.

I give what I quote for and expect others to do the same!

He got the job by being fraundulent which is bad for Bunny and for me!

Chemical cleaning is usually totally adequate. Thats what I am able to do most of the time but I never CHARGE for something that I dont provide!

Ther OP said thre was no DHW from any tap an not just the shower. The RGI tried to fob him off by saying the shower cartridge was at fault. It migh be but the DHW problem is at the boiler.

Tony

Hi tony u showing ur lack of experience mate sorry, I agree he shouldn't have charged for power flush if he only did chemical that is wrong, but surely u have seen a busted shower cartridge causing poor hot water at ALL taps? U open any hot tap an it pulls cold along the back of the shower an mixes at any outlet u open usually giving a much higher flow rate obviously.

Indeed - foxed a Worcester Combi recently by way on a check valve on the cheap and nasty shower valve.

None of the taps were giving hot water because the shower valve was passing.

Extra high flow rate on the hot water was the clue. Took a little head scratching first though I admit.

I agree that there is a small possibility that the shower is letting cold pass to the hot side.

However for that to coincide with the fitting of the new boiler seems very unlikely to me.

However, that would not happen if the non return valves were fitted to the shower feeds as recommended!

Tony

OP, there could be a quick way to sort this, has the shower got isolating valves ? If so turn them off to the shower and this will fix the hot water problem if it is the shower at fault, if he hasn't got any fitted i would certainly fit two and try this before i shelled out £170 for a new cartridge.

:rolleyes: just try what I said!! Turn the boiler cold iso off if still water comin out hot tap its the shower!! An tony this is the perfect time for this to happen!! As said it could of bin old system with old shower on tank pressure!!!

:rolleyes: just try what I said!! Turn the boiler cold iso off if still water comin out hot tap its the shower!! An tony this is the perfect time for this to happen!! As said it could of bin old system with old shower on tank pressure!!!

This wont prove its the shower, it could be any mixer in the house.

Well we really dont know!

Its up to the OP to tell us what the previous boiler make and model was.

But I am upset about the nstaller conning the OP about power flushing. Give an RGI a bad name....

Nice of you to tell us about this.

Clearly this is a useless and fraudulent installer re power flushing and the cause of the fault on hot water.

Obviously the owner expects the job to be done properly and should not have paid him!

Its difficult after the event if the owner has paid him to do anything about the lack of the power flush but the hot water should be sorted out but a letter before action is needed and if necessary a county court claim.

I am not sure why you are posting this rather than the owner. Which area is it in?

Its also intreaguing where this installer was found and why he was chosen. How much did he charge for the installation? I would charge £840 !

Tony

Hi Tony, thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure it matters who posts, the problem will still be the same, but since you ask, he has not access to the internet, and has never been on a computer in his life, so I offered to try to help out.

And yes, he is a fraudster, I have since found out that he used the existing honeywell room stat, yet a Vaillant room stat was supplied by the client forhim to install. The Vaillant stat is missing, and we assume the installer has it.

They live in the same road, and a couple of years ago did work for my friend,, which seemed OK so he thought he would use him again.

The job is in NW London and he charged £780-00.

The installer did eventually ring Vaillant tech support, and they came up with a solution.

Well we really dont know!

Its up to the OP to tell us what the previous boiler make and model was.

But I am upset about the nstaller conning the OP about power flushing. Give an RGI a bad name....

The previous boiler was and Ideal Combi boiler,, so it was a relatively simple exchange, or should have been.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back