Noisy boiler, pipes & radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We moved to our new rented house 6 weeks ago. When we moved in there was no hot water, the letting agent got the plumber to drain the system so a new valve could be fitted to give us hot water.
Since then the boiler has been banging very loudly, as well as the pipes the come immediately from it. It sounds like someone is hitting them with a hammer.
In addition to this 2 radiators upstairs are very noisy, banging and rattling. It sounds like something is in them.
The thermostat is also faulty, it always thinks the house is 12 degrees and continually heating the house till it is reaching temps of almost 30 (if we are out/asleep for instance).
Our letting agent will not look at these issues - as we have central heating the landlord will not do any repairs. Fine, except my 1 year old son sleeps in the room that has most of the noise and cannot sleep through it, he screams the house down.
We have been told to regulate the temp via the boiler - it has 4 settings but the house still reaches very high temps even on low.
To turn down the valve in my sons room (the rattling only stops at 2 and the radiator pretty much switches off at this temp).
Basically live with the noise as they are not going to do anything about it.

I just wondered if there is anything fairly simple we can do? I dont want to have to choose between my son not sleeping or it being freezing in his room.
We have bled all the radiators - hardly any air came out. My husband accidentaly did it with the heating on once and some black water came out of the noisy radiator.
The radiatior in our room had no air or water come out of it but heats up fine.
The radiator in the spare room has a constant rushing noise all the time.
There are thermostatic controls to the bedroom radiator but not downstairs, there is no control tap for these 4 radiators, just exposed metal at either end so I cant turn these down to regulate the temp.

Help this is driving me crazy. I'm a DIY nembie but if there is something I can do so my son can sleep in a warm room then I'm all for it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like there is still air in the system.I would suggest that the new motorised valve that was fitted wasn't wired correctly. Get them back to sort it properly.

I'd love them to come back but the letting agent flat out refuses to do any further work. I was hoping maybe there was something we could do that would just make the radiator less noisy so my son can sleep

Sponsored Links
Keep complaining to the Letting Agent, You are paying for something that is unsatisfactory and needs correcting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back