Noisy cast-iron radiator and other heating issues!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've recently had a full install of a new central heating system into a flat we are renovating.

We have cast iron rads, and the plumber has fitted them with non -TRVs, so manual valves. I have two questions:

- the radiator in the bedroom is driving us mad with a ticking/trickling water noise but ONLY when it's completely turned down at the valve. Can anyone suggest what this is?
- As we have no TRVs, but a wireless thermostat - how is the system regulating the temperature?? I know this is a stupid question but quite often during the night, even tho I have programmed the thermostat to a very low temperature, the radiators are hot? What exactly is the thermostat doing?!

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Sponsored Links
Get a new plumber, your rads should have a TRV on each except the rad where the wall thermostat is. The ticking noise could be solder in the pipe

PS Turn the heating off while your in bed.

Andy

a trickling noise usually means there is both air and water in the rads. There should be no air. What happens when you bleed them?

Does one of the pipes connect to the top of the rads, or are they both at the bottom?

Clicking is probably movement caused by expansion and contraction as they heat up and cool down. It can take a long time to find and pad with felt the places where the moving parts are rubbing against something. Start with the pipes under the floor where they touch the joists, and the wall clamps. I expect your installer will know this and will have padded them, but perhaps he missed one.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back