NOISY CENTRAL HEATING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am seeking some help on our central heating system:
Our old pump (fitted by British Gas and had a British Gas and Scottish Gas logo on it) had, in my opinion, started to become noisy. We have had it replaced with a Sure Pump SP55/130. The system is now noisier than ever with a humming noise occuring all over the house - depending on where you are in the house and/or a room the humming will be louder or softer. We have no heating in the toilet, but you can still hear humming. The noise also seems to become louder when the boiler fires.
The pump has 3 settings and is on number 2. The pump is located in the airing cupboard which is on the landing and is mounted on a plasterboard and studwork wall.
It is impossible to relax due to the constant humming in the background.
Humming is the best word I can think of to describe the noise.
Does anyone have any suggestions please ?

Sponsored Links
Sure Pump? Never heard of them, Grundfos would have been better. Have you tried adjusting the pump speed to see if it makes any difference to the sound?

Cheap pump is what you've got. The BG later pumps were rebadged Grundfos, and they are superior in every way.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the replies.

I found out that the Surepump is manufactured by Pulsar Direct - here is a link to the website: http://www.pulsardirect.co.uk/heating/pumps/pulsar-surepump-sp65-6mtr-head.html

I have turned the pump setting down from 2 to 1 but with no noticeable difference.
I have also turned the central heating off and run just the hot water = no difference to the humming noise.
If you put your ear close to the pump in the airing cupboard it does not seem particularly noisy, but its when you listen to the outside walls of the airing cupboard and at various places throughout the house that you hear the humming. It can even be heard above the television downstairs.
It would be impossible to have the boiler running through the night due to the noise so this morning I listened for the boiler to fire and thought that the humming noise actually increased for possibly the first few minutes of the pump operating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back