old back boiler heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey I am about to move in to a house with an old back boiler heating system, with a tank and cylinder supplying the hot water. I am wanting all this ripping out and replacing with a combi boiler. I know the back boiler/ heating system hasn't worked for a while. I was looking at replacing all the radiators too as they are old and rusty and I want a few of them in different places. My question is would a plumber be best starting a fresh with the heating pipework putting all new runs in? presumably using plastic. With me having the raditors swapped and a few in new positions.

Sponsored Links
It all depends on the state and coniguration of the pipework. Normall the pipes dont need replacing but if you have a one pipe system (very rare but possible) you should re- pipe the system.

With regards to radiators. Any that are rusty i would advise replacing. A combi puts much more pressure on the system so any weak point may leak. Best to ask Your installer for advice on what to keep and what to replace

Is it likely an engineer will just remove the back boiler and cap the heating pipework that when to it off. And re-connect on to it were the new boiler will be positioned?

Sponsored Links
It'll need more work than that but how much depends on what the layout and condition is at the moment.

It'll need more work than that but how much depends on what the layout and condition is at the moment.
What do you mean by depends on the condition? Could the pipework be too corroded or full of sludge to re-use?

I didn't mean anything specific but someone needs to look at things in situ and advise you. No one would know the detail without seeing things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back