Old Glow-worm Space Saver ignition problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

The pilot light on our Glow-worm Space Saver 38 (30 year+ old) went out a while ago but now the weather's turned cold I tried to relight it a couple of weeks ago. No spark.

I've just had it serviced today and the gas man has put the problem down to the ignition switch itself. It's producing a weak spark - he did get it lit twice with the cover off but went to test it a third time and it didn't want to know. The main issue now is that the component in question is now obsolete.

Could it be anything else? What about HT lead or the electrode? Would these result in a weak spark if they are problematic? Would replacing these help at all?

And my final question - can this boiler be lit manually? Can I removed the sight glass and light it with a match? Until I can source a second hand ignition I don't want to be without hot water and heating.

Many thanks,
Paul.

Sponsored Links
Anyone with a little experience of boilers can devise a solution.

Not many will be assed to though! They are best not engaged again.

It always surprises me to be told that someone called out is rude, unshaven, smelly, morose, unhelpful etc. not all at the same time though and they will still call them out another time.

Practically I expect that you could use a long shaft match to light the pilot but doing that is not advised as it does not meet the gas safety regulations!

Have you ever considered getting a new boielr and saving about 40% of the current gas consumption?

Tony

Tony, I'm not completely sure what you're talking about and clearly you're still pretty angry about the other guy's post about not paying for a tradesman. I paid for a service and have arranged for the same guy to come back and fit the ignition switch. I am merely asking is it worth sourcing the HT lead and electrode in case I can't find the switch. Will they help? Could they be a cause?

Yes I have considered a new boiler - I got him to quote me one today. If I don't plan on being in the same house in a couple of years time and I don't need to replace it then I won't.

Sponsored Links
I would only remain annoyed about something sombody has done while I am looking at the thread. Or in that case not paying the engineer and then trying a DIY repair.

Your problem is probably the generator. I dont know which type is used. Can you post a photo?

Its unlike to be the lead but the generator can be tested by making up a 4 mm spark gap at the generator.

I assume the ignition electrode insulator was cleaned during the service.

You dont imply your servicer was going to make much effort to get a replacement generator.

Tony

I assume that your spark generator is a conventionally wound transformer with the push button. If so, the lead is integral.
Ask your engineer about adapting a piezo spark generator as the later space savers. But then, thinking outside the box is alien to lots of service technicians.

Has your RGI lit the pilot manually? He hasn't left you without - has he?

Matches are rarely succesful - you need a blowlamp

And if I was moving soon, I wouldn't be changing the boiler either.

Thanks for your responses guys.

Yes, he did leave me without the boiler being lit - he said that it'd beaten him! He got it lit twice with the cover off and, to be honest, I didn't understand why he didn't light it manually and then put the cover on...or at least try.

Tony, he only rang one place to get the spare part so as far as going out of his was to get one...he didn't. Luckily I've found one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GLOW-WORM...Cooling_Air&hash=item27ad76fc22#ht_2726wt_905

Not completely the same as mine has a white button, but it fits my boiler and is brand new. Not sure if it's a good price but I don't particular care right now. Oilhead, by the looks of the picture I think you're right that the lead is integral. The only thing extra I can order if the electrode itself. If I can find one I might order one anyway.

expertgasman, thanks for agreeing about not replacing the boiler. We're not sure if we are likely to move in the next year or two but I figure that the money we save in the extra cost of servicing a combi and the money to actually have it installed will outweigh the savings a new boiler will bring. I also have a long stemmed lighter that the missus uses to light candles that I reckon will fit through the sight glass hole. The advantage of this is that it has a piezo tip. I know it's against gas safe regulations but I need heating until the part arrives and is fitted!

P.S. the guy who came to service the boiler was from the gas safe register website - I thought this was a good place to get one from.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for your responses guys.

Yes, he did leave me without the boiler being lit - he said that it'd beaten him! He got it lit twice with the cover off and, to be honest, I didn't understand why he didn't light it manually and then put the cover on...or at least try.

Tony, he only rang one place to get the spare part so as far as going out of his was to get one...he didn't. Luckily I've found one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GLOW-WORM...Cooling_Air&hash=item27ad76fc22#ht_2726wt_905

Not completely the same as mine has a white button, but it fits my boiler and is brand new. Not sure if it's a good price but I don't particular care right now. Oilhead, by the looks of the picture I think you're right that the lead is integral. The only thing extra I can order if the electrode itself. If I can find one I might order one anyway.

expertgasman, thanks for agreeing about not replacing the boiler. We're not sure if we are likely to move in the next year or two but I figure that the money we save in the extra cost of servicing a combi and the money to actually have it installed will outweigh the savings a new boiler will bring. I also have a long stemmed lighter that the missus uses to light candles that I reckon will fit through the sight glass hole. The advantage of this is that it has a piezo tip. I know it's against gas safe regulations but I need heating until the part arrives and is fitted!

P.S. the guy who came to service the boiler was from the gas safe register website - I thought this was a good place to get one from.

Yes, you did the correct thing getting a Gas Safe guy, But being a Gas Safe RGI is no indication of any engineers skill or experience. It only indicates they've done a few courses. Always use a Bona Fide company that has a landline phone number & a address.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

Unb***leivable!!
If he had lit the pilot manually AND assuming the valve was holding, there is no reason why he couldn't have left the pilot on. On the assumption that you have no history of pilot outage, the igniter is only required when the gas is turned off for any reason. I would suggest that you get on the phone and ask the plonker, nicely, why he didn't leave the boiler working? Presumably he gave you a bill and you paid?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back