Old Twyford Toilet needs syphon replacing....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.
I'm new to this forum as normally my father does all my DIY (don't you just love Dads). Unfortunately my father is out of the country till May and my toilet has stopped flushing. :(
I'm unemployed at the moment, so getting a plumber in is a last resort.
I've diagnosed the fault to a diaphragm problem (was intermittently working, but now not flushing at all), thanks to a wonderful youtube video, I believe I need a new syphon.
What I need to know is will this syphon fit my old Twyford close coupled toilet (the number on the cistern lid is 12086, it's at least 15+ years old): http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1QVQZYSGDWFH6022ZJC1
Bit of a long shot, but hope someone can answer.... before I buy it and it doesn't fit. :confused:
Thanks in advance for any help.
Anita (novice DIYer).

Sponsored Links
That should be just fine - presumably it just looks like the old one?
Bear in mind though, there are a couple of different heights for these, so it could be worthwhile taking the old one to a Plumbcenter branch or similar for identification and advice.
The worst bit about this job is actually disconnecting the cistern from the loo pan - if the wing nuts etc are rusty! You'll also need to replace the thick foam doughnut washer at the same time.
Is it easy to isolate the water supply to the loo? If it is, at least you can get a bit of breathing space to take your time - the loo can always be flushed with a bucket.
John :)

If you really want save money, you might be able to replace the plastic diaphram at the base of the flush valve. You could try making one to fit out of similar plastic. I've tried this and so long as you are accurate and the plastic is of a similar thickness, it does work.

Thanks John & Squeaky.

As I'll have to get the old syphon out, I figure it's best to just replace it Squeaky; less hassle in the long run, if more expensive right now.

Pretty sure the wing nuts are ok John. However the screws fixing the cistern to the wall are completely rusted through (think the heads have rusted off though luckily). Unfortunately the water supply isn't currently isolated, but I have a tap that I'll fit at the same time. As to the height of the new syphon, I believe that's the adjustable part..?

Anita.

Sponsored Links
Sure - I didn't notice that this was the adjustable type, so it should be fine.
You might like to consider buying it locally though so you can see exactly what you're getting.....anyway, thats your business.
Its often to find the cistern screws rusted - try gripping the heads with pincers or similar to get them out if you need to.
You could also find the cistern is slightly higher afterwards due to the thickness of the new doughnut washer.....this will pull down in time and if you have any problems with the cistern screws, a line of silicone between the cistern and the wall will keep it sweet.
Only personally speaking here but I like a good squidge of silicone between the doughnut washer and the toilet pan - officially it shouldn't be necessary but sometimes the angle between floor and wall isn't 90 degrees, and the cistern does like to sit square on the pan.
Good luck with your project! It isn't the easiest of jobs sometimes, and take care to reconnect the water fill pipe squarely without cross threading.

Fit a flapper valve, preferably a Fluidmaster.
Very little to go wrong, dead simple to repair it it does.
Dual, adjustable flush.

Cheaper than Amazon's Turbo 88 @ Screwfix.

Thanks Charnwood. Just looked at this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-leak-sentry-handle-adaptor-kit/78973

Seeing as I was thinking that I'd likely need to replace the ball float too, this option seems the cheaper option in the long run. :)

Does anyone know what the outlet size in the old Twyford toilets is though? Also is the inlet size standard in all toilets at 1/2"?

Many thanks for all suggestions.

Anita.

Does the cistern have a handle on the front or a button on the top?

Also, how old is "old"?

I'm pretty sure the outlet will be the traditional 1 1/2" and I agree, Fluidmaster are excellent products.
Often have problems fitting new stuff into modern slimline systems though :p but I guess there's plenty of space in the Twyford!

Front lever around 15 years old will 99.999% certainly be 11/2" outlet.

The Leak Sentry Handle Adaptor Kit will use your existing handle as it doesn't come with one in the kit.
That, hopefully, will stop you having to rummage in the bin after you've thrown in out with the rest of the bits. ;)

Dudley turbo the ways to go. On an old twyford it wont matter what height the syphon is. I allways go for the 9" and then adjust the floatvalve down, still got loads of water volume.
Some times a bit of a pain removing the handle cam though, although its still possible to unhook the cam from the syphon G-clip with a bit of jigling about
I hate dump valves!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back