One pipe heating system ...babys radiator lukewarm at bottom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I had a new boiler fitted in 2011 (baxi combi) and the plumber at the time said it was a one pipe system but he had fitted a few on my street and it would be fine. Actually he was right and over the last few years I've replaced all my radiators (which were really old) with double radiators and every radiator gets very hot very quickly apart from the last radiator I had fitted and the problem is its in my baby's room. All my radiators are on 5 on the thermostat and the one in babys room gets very hot at the top and is only lukewarm at the bottom. It's been bled so that's not an issue. The plumber said to either turn the radiators down to 4 downstairs and 5 upstairs or the other way I can't remember (it was last year).

Any advice? I Don't have the money to change to 2 pipe at the moment and touch wood the radiators/boiler is great but now it's getting cold my little boys room feels more chilly than the rest of the house. I'm pi**ed off to be honest that the plumber didn't just suggest 2 pipe in the first place. If I'd have known it was a problem id have somehow found the money to have it done properly.

Should I turn all the radiators downstairs to 4 and leave upstairs on 5 or vice versa?

Sponsored Links
Without knowing how your system is piped its difficult to know what advice to give you.

Is there any way to picture or draw a sketch of how each radiator is fitted and piped?

Tony

Read the FAQ on balancing a system.

Failing that the radiator may need manually flushing out.

Sponsored Links
Hi sunny I think you are missing lots of points as are a few others.

A quick leason on how a one pipe works.

You have a loop from the boiler and back to the boiler in which the water circulates round and round it goes. maybe there is more than one loop in different zones.

Now it gets complicated the hot water goes into each radiator by gravity so any wrong, poor design will stop the circulation through the rad, one reason why they always connected the rads top, bottom, opposite ends was to aid gravity circulation.

Another problem with one pipers is using the wrong TRVs, and I'd bet money on that in your case.

Anyway back to your problem

The top of the rad gets hot so you have circulation but not in the middle.

drain and take the radiator outside and flush it out with a hose pipe, stick it back and it will be much better if not very good.

Ps all the rad valves should be fully open

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back